Letter To The Editor

I regret to inform all graduate students that if Janine Santiago, on behalf of GSA, decides to secede from Sub-Board I, Inc. (SBI), all services that are offered by us will be unavailable to them. Currently, the GSA president, located in 310 Student Union, is exploring the possibility of pulling out of SBI for reasons that are misconstrued. If this occurs, GSA students will be severely affected. Currently, GSA pays $6.20 per semester per enrolled student in their constituency to SBI. In return, GSA receives three seats on the SBI Board of Directors, and all graduate students are given access to all of the services that SBI provides.

Some of our services available to all students (including graduate students) are a pharmacy located in Michael Hall on South campus, where we are able to sell prescription drugs and over the counter medicine at a significant discount compared to retail pharmacies out in the community. We also manage a clinical laboratory located in Michael Hall, which provides blood draws and medical tests for all students who are referred by a medical provider.

Through our Health Education and Human Services (HEHS) division, we provide free HIV testing and counseling, free short- and long-term relationship and individual counseling to students, currently 35 percent of which are GSA students, along with their spouses/partners. The Anti-Rape Task Force offers van and walk services, which provide students a safe alternative in addition to providing educational programs on date and acquaintance rape, as well as programs like Take Back The Night. Incidentally, over 300 GSA students used the van and walk services last year.

Our Group Legal Services office provides an attorney in residence 25 hours per week to offer all students free legal advice. During this past year, 112 graduate students visited our office to meet with one of our attorneys. We also have student defenders on staff to defend all students who are brought up on charges and must go before the Student Wide Judiciary. Finally, we coordinate various seminars on legal issues ranging from tenant/landlord rights to immigration law.

Our off-campus housing office located in Harriman Hall offers students a comprehensive listing and database of available apartments, rooms or houses for rent in the neighborhoods surrounding both campuses.

The above illustrates some of the services you receive from SBI for your money. As you can see, $6.20 per student per semester buys an incredible array of services. The current GSA president would like to take these services away from you. The SBI Board of Directors - composed of representatives from: SA (six seats); GSA (three seats); Medical School (one seat); Dental School (one seat); Law School (one seat); Graduate Management (one seat); and MFCSA (one seat) - has already taken corrective action to meet the concerns of GSA and has formed a committee to explore membership criteria.

I encourage all GSA students to voice their opinions to the GSA president regarding this issue. As a student, I certainly want to see all students from all constituencies working together to preserve something that we all created together. SBI has existed for over 32 years, and its mission has always been about students making decisions that affect students. It is my hope that we can all continue to work together toward that end. I would not like to see graduate students on the "outside looking in" when they can be a part of the unique experience of SBI.