Around The MAC

Rough Week For MAC Football

Iowa 29, Miami(OH) 24

Miami (OH) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went 33 of 51 for 343 yards and two touchdowns, but it wasn't enough as the Iowa Hawkeyes (2-0) defeated the Redhawks Saturday at Yager Stadium in Ohio.

Iowa quarterback Brad Banks went 18 of 27 for 256 yards and threw two touchdowns in the second half to wipe out a 17-16 Redhawk lead late in the third quarter. Hawkeye running back Fred Russell carried the ball 32 times for 150 yards.

Central Michigan 32, Wyoming 20

Chippewas running back Robbie Mixon ran for 150 yards on 37 carries and quarterback Derrick Vickers set a school record for completions while throwing for 361 yards and two touchdowns as CMU (2-0) took down the Wyoming Cowboys (0-2) Saturday in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

Wyoming quarterback Casey Bramlet completed 20 of 36 passes, threw for 290 yards and three touchdowns, but the Cowboys only gained an additional 64 yards on offense.

No. 8 Ohio State 51, Kent State 17

The No. 8 ranked Buckeyes (2-0) crushed the Kent State Golden Flashes (1-1) Saturday in Columbus, Ohio. It was 38-0 before KSU even crossed the mid-field stripe.

Freshmen Buckeye Maurice Clarett ran 12 times for 64 times and two touchdowns. Quarterback Craig Krenzel finished 12 of 14 for 190 yards, and defensive backs Mike Doss and A.J. Hawke each returned interceptions for touchdowns.

Kent State quarterback Joshua Cribbs completed 14 of his 31 passes for 160 and two second quarter touchdowns. He also rushed 12 times for 94 yards.

No. 7 Michigan 35, Western Michigan 12

Quarterback John Navarre went 14 of 23 for 174 yards and a career-high four touchdowns as he led the No. 7 ranked Wolverines past the WMU Broncos.

WMU quarterback Chad Munson was 15 of 25 for 199 yards with two touchdowns to go with his one interception. Both touchdown throws were to receiver Jermaine Lewis who had seven catches for 61 yards. Running back Phillip Reed had 14 carries for 94 yards for the Broncos.

Toledo 65, Eastern Michigan 13

The Rockets (2-0) scored a touchdown on seven of its first eight possessions and collected 510 total yards of offense in a drubbing of MAC opponent EMU (0-2). The lowly Eagles gained 351 yards and committed six turnovers.

Missouri 41, Ball State 6

Ball State (0-1) RB Marcus Merriweather led BSU with 115 yards on 26 carries but the Cardinals fell to the Tigers (2-0) and Missouri running back Zach Abron's three touchdowns.

Maryland 44, Akron 14

Maryland (1-1) slaughtered an over-matched Akron squad on the strength of a 28-0 halftime lead. The Terrapins torched the Zips' defense for 209 yards and 18 first-downs in the first half.

Arizona State 46, Central Florida 13

The Golden Knights (0-2) had a 13-10 lead in the third quarter that disappeared when quarterback Andrew Walter came off the bench to throw two touchdown passes to Shaun McDonald for the Sun Devils (2-1).

South Florida 37, Northern Illinois 6

SFU quarterback Marquel Blackwell threw for 273 yards and two touchdowns for the Bulls (2-0) as they clobbered the Huskies (1-1). NIU's leading rusher Joe Novak is undergoing medical tests.

Northeastern 31, Ohio 0

The hapless Bobcats (0-2) lost to the Division I-AA Huskies (2-0) as Northeastern turned four Ohio turnovers into 21 points.