The Lazy Apathetic Incumbent Protection Amendment

Letter To the Editor

To the Editor:

I am writing to express my opposition to a proposed amendment to the Student Association Constitution. Under this new amendment, an SA Assembly Member would no longer be required to obtain the ascent of those he claims to represent. Currently, membership of the assembly requires the signature of forty undergraduate students. If one wishes to renew his term the following year, he is required to obtain another 40 signatures. Under the new amendment, a returning Assembly Member would merely need to obtain the signature of the Speaker of the Assembly or the signature of two out of three SA [executive board] officers. These officers are the SA President, Vice President, and Treasurer. The supporters of this amendment argue that this will make the student government more democratic. They state that it is good policy to encourage as much participation in student government as possible, and that such an amendment will make it easier for students who have shown an active interest in student government to continue their participation. The most adamant supporter of this amendment states that assembly members simply don't want to be "bothered" getting another 40 signatures. She states that such a requirement could discourage people from renewing their membership. I find such a claim entirely unpersuasive.

Make no mistake; I whole-heartedly support increased participation in student government. However, one must be rational in his or her approach to increasing such participation. First, anyone who has even the most rudimentary knowledge of student government knows that 40 signatures are by no means difficult to obtain. I've gotten total strangers to sign my petitions at Bert's and the Student Union, obtaining forty in the course of one or two hours. Secondly, if someone doesn't want to be "bothered" obtaining 40 signatures, it is a clear sign of a lack in dedication to the Assembly. It begs the question whether such an individual would show up for meetings. One must ask, "Do we want such a lazy apathetic individual representing our interests?"

This year the many weaknesses of the SA Assembly have been highlighted. We should not make the SA Assembly any weaker than it already is. I believe that our student government leaders should strengthen the SA Assembly by encouraging energetic, dedicated, and interested members of the undergraduate body to join that organization. Such individuals are preferable to those who simply can't "bother" to represent our interests.