Teachers Honored With Milton Plesur Award

Each year, the Undergraduate Student Association sponsors the Milton Plesur Excellence in Teaching Awards, given to outstanding professors and nominated by the students who have benefited from their extraordinary efforts to enlighten and educate.

This year's winners from the more than 20 nominated professors were: Associate Professor of English Barbara Bono, Professor Rosemary Feal of Modern Languages, Associate Professor Maria S. Horne of Theater and Dance, Assistant Professor Scott Stevens of English and Assistant Professor Judith H. Tamburlin of Medical Technology.

Liz Courtney, SA director of academic affairs, presented the awards in a Tuesday afternoon ceremony in the Student Union Flag Room, along with SA President Christian Oliver and Dennis Black, vice president for Student Affairs. Each gave opening statements, after which the nominating students were given the opportunity to speak and present the awards.

"This ceremony gives UB students the ability to recognize good teachers at UB, the teachers who reach out to students and touch them in a special way," said Oliver.

SA Vice President Joshua Korman presented the first award to Bono.

"In one of the most work-intensive courses I've taken in my college career, she taught me to appreciate the Shakespearean language," said Korman.

Korman said Bono, like Plesur before her, was never afraid to take on university administrators. He recalled the way she fought alongside The Spectrum and Generation magazine to keep credit offered to the staff of the publications. She also stayed with The Spectrum staff during late-night production three years ago to prevent police from arresting the staff for working in their office after Student Union closing hours.

"It's not what she taught me about Shakespeare that I'll remember, it's what she taught me about life," said Korman.

Bono accepted the award graciously, describing it as "intensely important" to her.

Alison Gozzi and Lakeisha Moore presented the next award to Feal.

"In all my time in college. I've never met a teacher that shines like Ms. Feal," said Moore. "If you can handle Ms. Feal's Spanish class, you can handle anything."

"It means very much to me to receive this recognition," said Feal. "It's an extraordinary honor, if not the greatest honor of my career."

Students Luciana Brady, Kristina Bienias and Kevin Smith presented Horne's award, saying Horne "considers all of her students as her children" and describing her as "funny, charming and just amazing."

Horne accepted her award with tears in her eyes and a humble demeanor.

"This is a wonderful moment for me," said Horne. "I have no other words expect to say thank you."

Stefanie Alaimo, contributing editor of The Spectrum, nominated Assistant Professor Scott Stevens.

"He is a fantastic teacher," said Alaimo. "He didn't force his interpretation on his students, he always welcomed our opinions."

"Growing up, I've always loved to teach and I thank my students for recognizing that," said Stevens.

Tamburlin was the last to accept an award. Kosta Bostaglov thanked her for her "consciousness of a difficult subject [anatomy]" and said Tamburlin was always willing to help her students.

Tamburlin thanked her family because, she said, there were many times when her career took her away from them and "they were always understanding."

"My family and friends can tell you I'm never short on words," said Tamburlin. "But today it is difficult to express how much this award means to me."