Friday, May 03, 2024

"SOM Alumnus Donates $250,000 to Future Alfiero Center"

School of Management alumnus H. William Lichtenberger recently donated $250,000 toward the construction of the planned Alfiero Center. The $7 million Alfiero Center - named after Sam Alfiero, a Western New York businessman who donated $2 million to the project in 2001 - will become home to various academic programs, student services and clubs servicing management students.

The SOM, in turn, will name a lecture hall within the center after Lichtenberger.

"During the course of my career, I have continually drawn upon the knowledge and skills I gained as a student at the School of Management," stated Lichtenberger in a press release. "For that, I am truly thankful. I hope that this gift will help the school in its mission to prepare future business leaders."

The H. William Lichtenberger Lecture Hall is scheduled for construction sometime between the spring of 2003 and the end of 2004.

Lichtenberger, a 1966 MBA graduate of the school, chose to make his contribution to further recognize the SOM for it contributions toward his success in the business world.

Lichtenberger attended the SOM while employed at the former Union Carbide Research and Engineering Center in Tonawanda. After graduating, Lichtenberger became president of the company, leaving later to become chairman and CEO of another industrial-gases company, Praxair Incorporated, where he stayed until his retirement in 2000.

Interim Dean of the School of Management Jerry M. Newman expressed his appreciation for Lichtenberger's generous donation.

"[This] celebrates not only what one person has accomplished in his career, it celebrates what each of us is able to accomplish through hard work and pursuit of excellence," said Newman. "We are very thankful for Mr. Lichtenberger's generosity and we are honored to count him among our alumni."

The remainder of the project's funding will come from the UB's $250 million fundraising campaign, "Generation to Generation," which is dedicated to further enriching academic programs, supporting students from the undergraduate to post-doctoral level and enhancing university life.

Although certain the center would be beneficial to SOM clubs, Laura Campbell, a sophomore SOM student, said she sees no need "for another pretty building for the School of Management" as the Jacobs Management Center has been sufficient thus far.

"I do think it's great that there's all of these people who suddenly want to donate their money to the university," said Campbell. "But I do find it odd that they're all of a sudden building all of this new stuff. It's just that there's these people working in sweatshops and then there's us building this new $7 million building."

John Bedford, a sophomore SOM student, disagreed.

"I think it's a good idea because it's bound to boost the profile of both the School of Management and the University," said Bedford. "The whole idea behind the project is good for publicity and I think it would attract more students to coming here."