Mullet Mulled as Option for Students

Starting April 1, the stylists at Roseanne's Hair Shop will offer a saucy spring special sure to appeal to campus trendsetters: 50 percent off all mullet cuts.

Located in the Commons, Roseanne's usually gathers quite a bit of business and lately, more students have been looking to trim their coifs into the ever-popular style from the '80s.

"It got frustrating," said sophomore philosophy major Zack Taylor, "because I was looking all over town to find some shop that would be willing to cut me a decent mullet, and half of the barbers looked at me as if I had two heads. But, I didn't even know that the shop on-campus was working with this style, and for cheap, too!"

Senior music major Sheila Hartson got hers done right before break. "It really was pretty inexpensive in the first place, I mean, it was by far the cheapest cut I've had in the longest time. But, had I known that there would be a special going on like this after the break, I would've waited."

Hartson had been admiring the mullet for the past two years, and said that she often found herself flipping through pictures to find the right image to style hers after. She finally found her inspiration three months ago after coming across a picture of David Bowie from his "Ziggy Stardust" days.

"It really looks pretty good, I think," Hartson giggled as she spun around and fluffed her FemMullet. "Just like the picture. I'm really impressed."

New to the staff at Roseanne's, Belinda Bonfante shared a few words on her opinion of the mullet-craze.

"I don't really understand the attraction to this cut myself," she said bluntly. "Like, I had one when I was eight or something, but my mom said that was because she slipped and cut off more of my hair than she had planned on. But, I guess the kids like it."

Bonfante said around 20 college students came into the shop the week before break to get their own mullets, and she anticipated business will boom more than ever with the current spring special.

"I mean, it's like so cheap!" she exclaimed.

Roseanne's will only offer the special from April 1-5. Prices will start at $7.50; charges will increase depending on added elements (perm: $8.50, perm with spike in the front: $9.25).

Free cans of Aqua Net will be given out with each newly styled mullet while supplies last.