Southern Miss Takes Two of Three From UB

Bulls Drop Two on Saturday

Opening weekend for the UB baseball team proved to be a tough one, as the team lost the first two games of a three-game series to the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles, 14-5, and 18-6 at Pete Taylor Park in Hattiesburg, Miss. Saturday.

Brendan Dunford (0-1) was the starting pitcher in game one - which was suspended because of rain Friday and completed Saturday - for the Bulls and took the loss after SMU scored five runs on four hits in the second inning.

Southern Miss. put the Bulls away for good when they scored eight runs on eight hits in the sixth inning. The scoring outburst included a two-run home run by right-fielder Jeff Cook - who had three home runs in the game - and RBI doubles by third-baseman Allen Winningham and designated hitter Griff Israel.

The Bulls were held down at the plate most of the night by Southern Miss. starter Shea Douglas (3-0) who struck out six, gave up only two hits and no runs over five innings of work.

UB got a little rally going in the ninth when first-baseman Cory Blair scored from third on an error, center-fielder John Boom scored on a passed ball, and left-fielder Tim Sova singled to score second-baseman Adrian Daniels. However, it proved to be too little too late for the Bulls.

Game two on Saturday was more of the same as Southern Miss. started off strong, scoring five runs in the bottom of the first inning to grab a 5-0 lead. The Golden Eagles had only two hits but were helped by Bulls starting pitcher Mike Leslie (0-1), who handed out three walks and hit two batters.

Buffalo made a move toward tying the game in the second, scoring three on a home-run blast by Boom cutting the score to 5-3.

The Golden Eagles responded though, going on to score 12 runs over the next four innings including a five-run fourth.

Southern Miss. starter Daniel Stewart (1-0) picked up his first win, allowing just three runs on nine hits in six solid innings.

Eric Huber and Daniels led UB with three hits apiece.
UB Salvages Game Three

The Bulls scored five runs in the first two innings to take a 5-0 lead and held on for an 8-5 win in the series finale at Southern Miss. Sunday. It was the first home loss of the season for the Golden Eagles.

"We just didn't get it done today," Southern Miss. Head Coach Corky Palmer said. "We didn't pitch well. Buffalo swung the bat. I have to give them credit, they earned their win today."

SMU starter Charlie Rogers (2-1) got in trouble early with UB. In the first, Buffalo had runners on second and third; Brandon Dicesare drove in both with a single to right field. In the second, a walk, hit batsman, and wild pitch cost Rogers another three runs.

Buffalo put the game away with a three-run fourth inning. The Bulls picked up four consecutive hits on Rogers and reliever Brent Hurley, accounting for their offense in the inning.

John Sullivan (1-0) earned the win for UB, allowing one earned run in five innings. Anthony Puccia recorded the save, giving up one earned run in four innings.

With the weather too poor for baseball in Buffalo, the Bulls will head south again next weekend. The team will take on West Virginia in a four-game series - starting Friday, March 8. The teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday, March 9.