Track Squads Each Capture First Place

The UB men's and women's indoor track teams both opened their winter schedule with first-place finishes at the Colgate Invitational last Saturday.

Men's Results

The men won the competition with a score of 146 points. Colgate took second with 107 points, and Canisius finished third with 41. The Bulls had a total of eight first-place finishes.

Joe Clark placed first in the 500-meter dash with a time of 1 minute, 4.42 seconds, good enough to qualify him for the IC4A Championships. Tim Giagios took the 800 in 20:00.14.

Buffalo's success was not limited to individuals. Clark and Giagios teamed up with Peter Otovic and Pat Kapperman to take first place in the 1,600-meter relay with a time of 3:25.32.

Also finishing first for the Bulls was Sheldon Battle in the shot put, Eric Czubaj in the 1000, Rob Namulala in the triple jump, Dan Simpson in the pole vault, and Erich Smithson in the 55-meter hurdles.

Colgate had strong finishes in the sprinting events. Kyle Chandler placed first in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.56, and Tyrone Russell won the 200 and the 400 earning him the honor of Colgate Male Athlete of the Week.

For Canisius, Chad Bader placed first in the mile and Joe Caprio tied for first-place in the 55 hurdles with a school record of 8.24 seconds.

Women's Results

Four UB women qualified for the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship following their strong performances at Colgate.

Christina Keck set a new school record with her second-place finish in the 1000 with a time of 2:54.87. Biaunca McFarland qualified after turning in a first-place finish in the triple jump with a jump of 12.02 meters. Faith Thompson finished first in the 20-lb weight throw and Chrissie Mathews placed first in the high jump, both good enough to qualify for the championships.

Freshman twins Julie and Beth Stephenson placed in six events combined for Colgate. Yaruby Brenes finished first in the 200, second in the 55 and ran the last leg in the 1,600 relay.

Both the men's and women's teams will try and continue their success at the Kent State Open Dec. 8 in Kent, Ohio.

Compiled by Staff Writer Eugene Clay