Women's Swim Wins at Bona

Pretend you had a friend that kept inviting you over to play cards. Each time you came over, you would win and take his money. Pretty soon, unless his finances were in such good shape that he was indifferent about the loss of money, he would stop inviting you.

St. Bonaventure University might be wise to follow the same train of thought next year when they make up the schedule for women's swimming.

The UB women's swim team ventured to Olean, N.Y. last Friday night, and came back with their second-straight victory over the Bonnies in as many years. The Bulls, who scored a 167-133 decision, improved their overall record to 3-1 this season.

Buffalo defeated their long-time rivals in 12 of the 15 contested events. Freshman Jennefer Brankovsky was the standout, winning three of her individual races, the 200 freestyle (1:56.63), the 200 breaststroke (2:26.27) and the 400 individual medley (4:36.70).

Abby Delia took a pair of races for the Bulls, the 100 backstroke (59.35) and the 100 freestyle (54.00). Her exceptional performance in both events garnered her the UB Female Athlete of the Week Award, earning the women's swim team the award for the second-consecutive week. Brankovsky was last week's recipient.

As a team, Buffalo swept St. Bonaventure's relay squad, winning the 400 medley relay in 4:00.47 and the 200 freestyle relay in 1:39.86.

In the diving competition, UB freshman Tracy Hoover won the one-meter event with a total of 247.58 points. Fellow freshman Kim LaHaye took the three-meter event scoring 262.65 points.

No St. Bonaventure swimmer took more than one race. A couple of seniors did post individual achievements for the Bonnies, however, as Kelley Northup won the 500 free, and Katie Czech won the 200 fly.

The Bulls will have three weeks to prepare for their first large meet of the season, the Akron Invitational, on Nov. 30.

Compiled by Staff Writer Adam Brown.