Buffalo Mayoral Race

It Doesn\'t Get Any Better

The citizens of Buffalo will go to the polls Tuesday to choose the Queen City's next mayor. On the one hand is two-term incumbent Mayor Anthony Masiello, endorsed by the Democratic Party. And Republican. And Conservative. And Independent. His opposition? No one. Masiello faces literally no challenge in Tuesday's election. The only way Masiello can lose the election is if everybody in Buffalo, himself included, forgets to vote.

Masiello's only opposition came in the Democratic primary from Beverly Gray, a City Council member-at-large who did not campaign due to a medical condition and has a weak support base. The mayor trounced her, assuring his victory on Tuesday.

The mayor's lack of competition could be viewed as a tacit endorsement of Buffalo's direction. Recent events, however, illuminate severe problems facing the city. Buffalo is now staring into the abyss of a budget shortfall in excess of $120 million, and may soon have to surrender financial control to an independent board.

Because of poor planning by the city's school board, over 500 employees will be terminated, beginning Dec. 1. Disturbingly, most of the cuts will be teachers - only further exacerbating the school system's ongoing woes.

In contrast, the mayor is a strong supporter of casino gaming, despite its negative social consequences. Masiello believes the casino will be a positive remedy for Buffalo's economic ills, regardless that the jobs it creates will be almost exclusively low-paying service work and of the whole host of problems accompanying gambling.

While a political campaign's fundamental purpose is to choose those best suited to govern, it also serves to raise important issues to the voters and their future. Because he is running unopposed, the mayor has not and will not have to engage in discussing the issues. Masiello does not need to campaign. He doesn't need to reach out to the voters. As a result, issues critical to the viability of the city will go unaddressed.

The political class in Buffalo is partly to blame for this sad state of affairs. While a majority of registered voters are democrats, the republicans have a responsibility to step forward and offer candidates to articulate alternative views and challenge the status quo. The democrats, by virtue of their numerical superiority, have a more diverse membership and a wider range of opinion. There are vocal opponents to Masiello's proposals. State Assembly member and fellow democrat Arthur Eve, for example, is vehemently opposed to casino gaming in Buffalo. Other than Gray's token candidacy, however, no democrat stepped forward to express an opposing viewpoint.

Since a democracy is of, by and for the people, the voters also shoulder a share of the responsibility. Political officials respond to voters' wishes. If championing a cause will garner support, a wily politician will attempt to take advantage of the situation. If Buffalo's citizens raise a loud enough cry for change, someone will respond.

The problem in the city is a chicken and egg effect. Buffalo's elected officials must offer opposition to future administrations to improve the city's health, but leaders need support to go on a limb and stand for election. The voters need to demonstrate a desire for alternatives and a willingness to follow a new leader, but that requires political leadership. In the absence of mobilization by the electorate or political leadership by opposing parties, Tuesday's "election" is simply a rubber stamp, accepting the status quo as the best of all possible situations.

If Buffalo's current state of affairs is the best of all possible situations, there is indeed no hope for the rusting Queen City.