"X-Country: Women Dominate at Home, Men Place 2nd at Albany"

The UB women's cross-country squad earned first place Friday afternoon in the UB Invitational meet. Buffalo scored 15 points - the lowest possible score - defeating Brock University of Canada and Medaille College.

The Bulls had each of the top eight finishers in the five-kilometer race that began from Baird Point. Melissa Burrows won the competition with a time of 19:21.4, finishing five seconds ahead of teammate Jessica Moldovan.

Jenny Koeppel, Christina Keck, Tarynn Knarr, Erin Mullaney, Mindy Gorniak and Courtney Braun rounded out the top eight for UB.

The men's cross-country team traveled to the Albany Invitational, placing second in the 20-team meet Saturday afternoon. Buffalo finished with 47 points, 10 points behind first-place Albany.

Todd Ludden was UB's top finisher, taking fourth place in the eight-kilometer race with a time of 25:38.88. Rick Stewart and Jerimie Slick placed sixth and seventh respectively for the Bulls.

Both the men's and women's teams will not compete again until Oct. 27 at Eastern Michigan in the Mid-American Conference Championships. The men's team was originally scheduled to compete in the UB Invitational on Friday, but lack of opposing entrants forced the cancellation of the meet.

Compiled by Sports Editor Michael Scott