Western Trek Unsuccessful for UB Women

They went west in search of MAC glory, but found Eagles and Chippewas blocking the path.

The women's soccer team traveled to Michigan last weekend to take on the Central Michigan Chippewas and Eastern Michigan Eagles in their last MAC games of the season. The trip proved barely worth the effort, though, as the Bulls dropped a 4-1 decision to Central and were defeated 4-0 by Eastern.

Because of the losses the Bulls dropped out of first place and finished the year with an 8-7 (7-4 MAC) record.

In game one, the Bulls fell behind early as Central Michigan tallied three goals before the 60-minute mark of the first half.

The Bulls finally broke through in the 66th minute with sophomore Lindsay Mislin's goal from 15 yards out. Mislin's first goal of the season came off a pass from freshman Jenny Dannecker.

Central Michigan added one more goal at 79:53 to close scoring. The stats told the whole story, as UB was outshot 10-1 in the second half and 19-5 overall. Junior Emily Cox made nine saves for Buffalo.

On Sunday afternoon Buffalo found the other half of the state to be even less hospitable. The Eagles shut out the Bulls, erasing any chance UB had of once again becoming MAC regular season champions.

Eastern Michigan came out strong, and at the half jumped out to a 2-0 lead after goals in the 21st and 34th minutes. The Eagles continued to press during the second half and added an insurance goal when Heather Pedersen scored her first of the season off a penalty kick in minute 63. Eleven minutes later the Eagles put the icing on the cake with a rebound goal in front of the Bulls' net.

Emily Cox recorded six saves for UB.

Buffalo will visit Canisius Wednesday, Oct. 24, and host the Duquesne Dukes Halloween night.

This report compiled by Asst. Sports Editor Michael Goldberg.