Honors Program Unveils Grant

The University Honors Program recently announced establishment of the Research and Creative Activities Fund, a new grant offered primarily to honors students.

"[The grants were devised] to encourage and foster the development of scholarly and creative activities among the honors students. We have had such a program for many years, but the infusion of new funds allows more students to participate and allows more ambitious projects to be supported," stated Dr. Clyde Herreid, director of the University Honors Program.

The Office of the Provost has allocated $25,000 for the grants, to be parceled out in $5,000 increments to qualified applicants.

To be considered for the grant, a student is required to fill out an application and provide a detailed plan of his or her project. The Honors Council, made up of students, faculty and administrators, reviews the application and decides whether the project warrants fiscal support.

"... The council will consider any and all creative ideas, even those that do not strictly fit under the heading of traditional research. However, the project must have educational goals," Herreid said.

"We hope ... to demonstrate that UB sees its educational role in the broadest possible terms: to continue to encourage all educational creativity not just within the traditional classroom. It is only one more step (albeit small) UB has taken to help produce a campus culture fostering the highest academic achievement," added Herreid.

The grants are open to all enrolled honors students in good academic standing, regardless of year. Applications for the grant are available at the Honors Program Web site, http://wings.buffalo.edu/provost/honors/, and in the Honors Program office, 214 Talbert Hall.