Women's V-Ball Weekend Tourney

Despite the stellar play of sophomore Lindsay Matikosh, the UB women's volleyball team dropped two closely contested matches at the Massachusetts Invitational this past weekend. The Bulls surprised the host Minutewomen by tying the match up at a game a piece with a hard earned 30-25 victory. The home team then rallied, however, and took the next two games by the scores of 30-23, and 30-18 in the finale to end the contest winning three games to one.

Matikosh led the Bulls with 12 kills and 14 digs in the opener, and senior setter Larissa LaCour paced the squad with 33 assists. Sophomore Alexis Bouie also had a strong effort, registering seven of the Bulls' 11 blocks in the match.

The Bulls rebounded in the nightcap against Dartmouth, taking the first game by a convincing 30-21 margin. The Big Green fought back to win the second game by the identical 30-21 score. In the pivotal third game of the match, the Bulls fell by the slimmest of margins, 30-28. Dartmouth rode the momentum to a 30-23 victory in game four, sending the Bulls home winless on the weekend.

Matikosh again led the Bulls in kills and digs, with 15 and 13 respectively. Her strong performances earned her honors on the All-Tournament Team. Lacour could have made a strong argument for a spot as she once again posted a game-high 41 assists and 10 digs. Freshmen Molly Schrantz set a career high with 12 kills, and also chipped in with six assists and eight digs.

The Bulls are off until next weekend where they will compete in yet another tournament, the UMBC Tournament in Baltimore, Md. Morgan State, Virginia Commonwealth, and Loyola round out the rest of the playing field.