Women's Soccer Victorious In Conference Opener

The UB women's soccer team, the first of the UB's athletic teams to resume play, defeated the Kent State Golden Flashes 3-1 on Sunday afternoon at RAC Field in the first Mid-American Conference game for both teams.

The Bulls (2-3) were propelled to victory behind a quick two-goal outburst in the second half.

With 25:42 remaining in the game, Devon Russell scored the winning goal for the Bulls after a sensational pass by Nicole Olszewski. The goal was Russell's second of the season.

Buffalo put the golden flashes away when Olszewski scored her third goal of the year just 69 seconds later. Brenna McJury picked up an assist on the play.

The Bulls opened the scoring with 24:23 to go in the first half when Devon Russell's twin sister, Emily, converted a long lead pass from senior Paula Sinclair for her second goal of the season.

The Golden Flashes (1-4) didn't need much time to respond.

Lauren Caminati sprinted down the sideline and evened the score only 6 seconds later, with an assist going to Corie Van Korngut. The goal broke a Kent State scoring drought that spanned 291 minutes, 23 seconds.

With 16:07 to go in the first half, the Bulls received a scare when the Golden Flashes nearly took the lead after putting another ball past Buffalo keeper Emily Cox. The goal, however, was disallowed because of an offside call, and the score remained tied through intermission.

Cox had another strong outing in goal for UB, recording seven saves. Lindsay Mitchell countered with nine saves for Kent State.

The Bulls out-shot the Golden Flashes 17-15, and had a 4-2 edge in corner kicks. The Bulls, who play five of their next seven games at home, will take on MAC rival Akron in a rescheduled contest Tuesday at 2p.m. at RAC Field.