UB Cancels All Non-Conference Events

Several UB sporting events have been postponed or cancelled due to terrorist acts at the Pentagon and World Trade Center yesterday.

UB Director of Athletics Bob Arkeilpane and UB President William Greiner have canceled all non-conference sporting events this week, including: the men's soccer game vs. Canisius originally scheduled for Wednesday, the men's tennis team's participation in the Rochester Invitational Tournament over the weekend, women's tennis matches at Youngstown State and Cleveland State, and the women's volleyball tournament at Maryland.

No information was available on whether the games will be rescheduled.

The status of Mid-American Conference contests is still unclear. Decisions regarding women's soccer games vs. Akron and Kent, as well as the women's cross country participation in the Ohio University Invitational, will be issued today.

Whether the Bulls football team will still play Army at the West Point Military Academy Saturday was undecided at press time.

"West Point right now has many concerns," Director of Athletic Communications Paul Vecchio said. "The decision ultimately is theirs to make, since it is their home game."

West Point officials are expected to issue a decision today, according to an official statement issued by the UB Department of Athletics, but their intentions could not be confirmed at press time. All of the Spectrum's attempts to reach West Point officials on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Complicating the issue will be the military academy's role in the relief and rescue efforts.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the game was cancelled, but we are communicating closely with them regarding it," said Vecchio.

"While the events today are tragic for all Americans, they hit particularly close to home for many members of the University community and our students," stated Arkeilpane. "Out of respect for those that have been killed or injured we think that the postponement of these activities is the most appropriate response."