"Memorial Service for Charles Atkinson Haynie, UB Instructor and Civil Rights Activist"

Charles Atkinson Haynie, a retired UB lecturer, coordinator for UB's Leo Tolstoy College, and former "Out of the Chaos" columnist for the Spectrum, died Jul. 20 at the age of 65, following a three-year struggle with cancer.

Haynie, a Queens native, received a bachelor of arts degree in engineering physics from Cornell University in 1956, then left his graduate studies in mathematics during the 1960s to become involved in the civil rights movement. In 1969, Haynie came to Buffalo to teach courses at the Tolstoy College, one of many experimental residential colleges established in the 1960s and 1970s.

Haynie was an active part of the left-wing community during his years at UB, and was one of the "Faculty 45" who participated in an anti-war sit-in in Hayes Hall in 1970. Haynie also ran as a reform Democratic candidate in 1979, and was committed to easing racial tensions, helping to organize the Buffalo Unity Day rally in 1980.

Haynie taught many popular courses at UB, including "Statistics for Social Sciences," "American Left," and "American Reactionary Movements." He served as the Social Sciences Interdisciplinary Program's undergraduate advisor and was an affiliate of the Environment and Society Institute.

A memorial program for Haynie will be held Oct. 8 at 3 p.m. in 280 Park Hall.