Letter to the Editor

The university has received numerous complaints from residents living in University Heights about drinking, loud noise, illegal parking and trash coming from parties hosted by UB students. Local residents who have lived in University Heights for many years have told us that the problems this fall are the worst they have ever seen.

Please be aware that, if you host a party where alcohol is served, you assume both civil and criminal liability for anyone attending the party. It is illegal to serve or sell alcohol to a minor. It is illegal to collect money at the door of a party where is alcohol is served. Furthermore, if alcohol is served, the host(s) of a party can be held liable if a guest causes injury to him/herself or to others, even after leaving the party. Additionally, the City of Buffalo Code 293-3 prohibits, "any excessive or unusually loud noise or any noise which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace, and safety of others ..." Violators are subject to fines as well as jail terms.

The Buffalo Police are aware of the situation. If anyone is caught breaking the law, the police will not hesitate to issue a summons and/or make an arrest. As a UB student, if you are issued a summons and/or arrested for an event off campus, under the "State University of New York at Buffalo Student Conduct Rules, University Standards and Administrative Regulations," you will also be mandated to go though the campus judicial system. This can include suspension or expulsion from the university.

While we all have a right to enjoy our homes, it is important to consider our neighbors who take pride in the community and who have the right to live peacefully in their homes.