Bulls get swept by Ohio with lackluster hitting

Buffalo loses three game road series over the weekend

<p>Junior pitcher Ally Power gets ready to windup her pitch. The Ohio Bobcats swept the Bulls, making for a rough weekend.</p>

Junior pitcher Ally Power gets ready to windup her pitch. The Ohio Bobcats swept the Bulls, making for a rough weekend.

Buffalo struggled this weekend against the Ohio Bobcats, losing three games by eight or more points. The Bulls (15-29, 6-14 Mid-American Conference) have not scored more than two runs in a game since April 18 and are on a seven-game losing streak.

The teams played their first game on Friday with the Bobcats (32-14, 18-2 MAC) winning 9-1. Ohio picked up a win, scoring seven runs in the third and fourth inning combined. Senior third baseman Danielle Lallos had one of only four hits for the Bulls in the game, driving in senior centerfielder Leandra Jew. The run was Buffalo’s sole RBI of the weekend. Ohio’s senior pitcher Danielle Stiene struck out 10, in her first complete game performance of the weekend.

Junior pitcher Lace Smith started the second game for the Bulls, failing to record more than one out. The Bobcats won 17-0 in five innings on Saturday. The Bobcats earned nine runs in the first and capitalized on Buffalo’s six errors. Buffalo’s sole hit came from Lallos in the second, making her the only Bull to get a hit in more than one game.

Buffalo’s misfortune continued in the second Saturday game where they lost 8-0 in five innings. Ohio recorded 10 or more hits in all three games against Buffalo. Junior pitcher Ally Power pitched her second game of the weekend, allowing six runs as her earned run average inflated to 4.67. This is a far cry from her no-hitter performance on March 23. Five teams have swept the Bulls this season, and Buffalo had no doubles, triples or home runs the entire weekend.

In two games, the Bulls combined for ten errorrs and only five hits. Head coach Mike Roberts adjusted his defensive positioning. He moved sophomore second baseman Jenelle Martinez to short stop, Lallos from third to second base and junior short stop Alissa Karjel moved to third. The changes worked as the Bulls only committed one error in the final game of the series.

Sophomore catcher Jessica Goldyn has been one of the Bulls’ best hitters. In 33 games, Goldyn hit for a team-high .404 batting average and only struck out six times in her 99 at-bats. Despite her stats, Goldyn has not appeared in any contest since April 13. The Bulls have only won one game in her absence.

The Bulls play the Niagara Purple Eagles (14-27, 6-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) next on Wednesday in a road doubleheader, with the first game set to start at 3 p.m.

Sports Desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com