News briefs: what to know locally, nationally and globally

Campus:

UB faculty donate to revitalize Dental school facilities

After 30 years of having the same equipment, the UB School of Dental Medicine (SDM) will be getting a face-lift thanks to the philanthropic support of faculty.

Donors include: Joseph Zambron, dean of the school, as well as long-time faculty members Jane Brewer, Robert Genco and Sebastian Ciancio. The improvements to Squire Hall will cover 300 operatories, according to UBNow.

Engineering faculty awarded over $1.5 million in NSF CAREER awards

The National Science Foundation awarded research grants totaling $1.5 million to three UB professors.

Ning Dai, an assistant professor in the department of civil, structural and environmental engineering, received $503,517. Dai’s award will go toward her research in sustainable desalination methods.

Lu Su, an assistant professor in the department of computer science and engineering, will use his awarded $508,860 toward researching more secure and reliable computing frameworks.

Zhi Sun, an assistant professor in the department of electrical engineering, will work to create a computing system capable of handling extreme environments like being underground or underwater.

Local:

Man in custody after firing shotgun on Keystone Street

The Buffalo Police SWAT Team took a 35-year-old man into custody after shots were fired around 2 p.m. Saturday, according to The Buffalo News. The man had barricaded himself inside his downstairs flat and was firing a shotgun through his window, according to Buffalo Police.

Police safely removed about half a dozen people from the upstairs apartment. The Crisis Management Team arrived at 3:30 p.m. and the shooter surrendered without incident. No injuries were reported and police are considering charges against the subject.

West Seneca man charged with rape of 13-year-old girl

West Seneca police have charged Adario C. Morrison with raping a 13-year old in August of 2016, according to The Buffalo News. He is also charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Morrison pleaded not guilty and was placed in the Erie County Holding Center. He is due back in court at a later date.

National:

Arkansas executes death row inmate in first execution since 2005

The state of Arkansas carried out its first execution in more than a decade on Thursday. Death row inmate Ledell Lee was put to death with a lethal injection, according to The New York Times.

Lee, who was sentenced to death for the murder of Debra Reese over 20 years ago, was pronounced dead at 11:56 p.m. Central Time at the Cummins Unit, a prison in southeast Arkansas. The State of Arkansas intends to carry out three more executions before its supply of the lethal injection chemical expires at the end of the month.

Michigan doctors charged in first genital mutilation case in U.S.

Two Michigan doctors and the wife of one of the doctors have been charged with performing genital mutilation on a 7-year-old girl in the first female genital mutilation case in the U.S.

Dr. Fakhruddin Attar and his wife, Farida Attar were arrested in their medical office in Livoniva, Michigan on Friday, according to CNN. Detroit emergency room physician Jumana Nagarwala was arrested April 12 and is currently in jail awaiting trial because she was deemed a flight risk and a threat to the community.

The Attars and Nagarwala are charged with conspiracy, female genital mutilation and aiding and abetting.

Global:

Pope under fire for concentration camp remark

Pope Francis is facing criticism from the American Jewish Committee after he compared European refugee centers to “concentration camps,” according to CNN.

“I don't know if he was able to get out of that concentration camp, because the refugee camps – many – are concentration [camps], because they are so crowded with people,” the Pope said in Italian on Saturday while speaking to migrants about a man he met at a refugee camp last year.

The AJC issued a statement asking the Pope to reconsider his choice of words.

“The conditions in which migrants are currently living in some European countries may well be difficult, and deserve still greater international attention, but concentration camps they certainly are not," said AJC CEO David Harris.

The Vatican’s website said the Pope was speaking “off the cuff” when he made the remark.

Le Pen and Macron win first round of French presidential election

On Sunday, France voted in its first round for presidential candidates. Out of the eleven in the running, the two candidates who emerged as victors were far-right candidate Marine Le Pen and centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron, according to BBC. Macron led Le Pen with a slight lead, taking 23.7 percent of the vote to Le Pen’s 21.7 percent.

The second round of voting will take place on May 7. The election is considered globally decisive. If Le Pen is elected, France will follow the populist trend seen in the U.S. election of President Trump and the UK’s Brexit vote.

News desk can be contacted at news@ubspectrum.com.