UB Graduate School of Education Dean Jaekyung Lee steps down

Lee resigns after serving four years as dean

<p>UB announced on Monday&nbsp;Jaekyung Lee, dean of the Graduate School of Education, will&nbsp;step down. Lee served as GSE dean since 2013.</p>

UB announced on Monday Jaekyung Lee, dean of the Graduate School of Education, will step down. Lee served as GSE dean since 2013.

Jaekyung Lee, Dean of UB’s Graduate School of Education, is stepping down at the end of the 2016-17 academic year.

Lee is resigning for “family reasons,” according to a letter from Provost Charles Zukoski sent to UB faculty. Lee was the eighth GSE dean. He served as the interim GSE dean since 2012 and was appointed to permanent dean status in 2013. Lee will return to full-time status as a professor of “counseling, school and educational psychology,” according to the release.

“I am very grateful for the opportunities for leadership that UB has provided me during the past five years. I take pride in advancing GSE towards UB2020 goals and appreciate all the support from people across UB and GSE communities," Lee said in an email. "Although it is a challenging time for schools of education, I am confident that GSE will stay strong and impactful with its mission-critical work and innovations. During the rest of this academic year, I will continue to work on ongoing initiatives and give support for a smooth transition.”

Lee isn’t the only dean to step down in the last two years.

Former Law school Dean Makau Matua resigned in September 2014 after allegedly lying under oath in federal court. Matua was dean for seven years andis currently a UB Distinguished Professor at the UB School of Law.

Former School of Management Dean Arjang A. Assad stepped down in April 2015 after serving for seven years. He was then appointed dean of University of Pittsburgh’s Katz Graduate School of Business and College of Business Administration.

Former College of Arts and Sciences Dean E. Bruce Pitman stepped down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year after a five-year tenure. He returned to a full-time faculty role in the Mathematics Department this year.

During Lee’s tenure, GSE recruited 20 new “tenure-track faculty members and created several grants and awards,” according to the release.

The search for the next GSE dean will begin later this semester.

Correction: The original article stated Lee was appointed to permanent dean status in 2014 and served two years as dean.

Ashley Inkumsah is the co-senior news editor and can be reached at ashley.inkumsah@ubspectrum.com. Follow her on Twitter at @AshleyInkumsah.