Letter from Transparency candidate Maximillian Budynek

<p>Maximillian Budynek poses for a photo during his run for Student Association president. Budynek, who with his running mate Daniel Christian lost the election,&nbsp;believes there are issues with the way SA elections are currently set up.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

Maximillian Budynek poses for a photo during his run for Student Association president. Budynek, who with his running mate Daniel Christian lost the election, believes there are issues with the way SA elections are currently set up.  

I would first like to thank everyone that listened to our message throughout the past two weeks of this campaign, during which I’ve had the pleasure of meeting so many new people. This has been an invaluable experience to me, despite all of the challenges involved. I would also like to thank the four hundred or so people that gave us their vote in the election, hearing that our message has resonated with so many people has inspired me to continue working on addressing these issues, despite our defeat. With that in mind, I want to use this platform to address some issues that I believe that this university, and its student body, will face going forward.

This year’s election clearly proves the need to overhaul the election process. While both parties worked tirelessly, reaching out to so many students over the election days, we could only accomplish a voter turnout that was somewhere in the ballpark of six percent of the entire student body. While speaking to so many of our peers, it was clear that they had no idea an election was even occurring. The University, and its Student Association, do not do enough to promote the election, and are doing an injustice to those who would have been interested in making their voices heard. Two days of speaking to clubs, and a poorly advertised debate, are simply not enough. A more publicized election will allow for a greater exchange of ideas, and more student involvement.

Whenever we would speak to someone during the election, we would ask them if they could tell us where their activity fee went, or what events the SA hosted outside of Fall and Spring Fest, and the overwhelming majority of people had no answer. Now, we can place some of the blame on apathetic students who couldn’t be bothered to explore what information is made available to them; however, this does not apply to the majority of students. The upcoming administration needs to address this issue, or face another year of a disenfranchised student body with indifferent feelings towards their “representatives”.

It is overwhelmingly clear that each member of Progress is well qualified, prepared, and supported for the upcoming year, but it is of the utmost importance that they do not rest on their laurels. Winning by a two-thirds margin is a vote of confidence, however winning with only four percent of the student body is not. It reveals a reality which may not be apparent: that the student body is disengaged. The University’s student government has simply not done enough to include our peers in the electionprocess. The challenges that Progress has the opportunity to tackle necessitates a devoted response. With this, I wish Progress the best of luck going forward. They have a wonderful opportunity to make a difference.

Maximillian Budynek

Transparency Party presidential candidate