Bobby Hurley agrees to contract extension with UB Athletics

Men’s basketball head coach Bobby Hurley signed an extension through the 2018-2019 season it was announced Tuesday. Hurley led the team to a 19-10 record and the team’s first-ever outright Mid-American Conference East championship last season. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

On Tuesday, men’s basketball head coach Bobby Hurley agreed to a contract extension with Buffalo through the 2018-19 season.

Hurley led the Bulls to a 19-10 record last season and their first-ever outright Mid-American Conference East championship. The No. 3 seed Bulls fell in the MAC Quarterfinals to No. 6 seed Eastern Michigan 69-64.

“I want to thank Athletic Director Danny White and President Satish Tripathi for their continued support in my future as the leader of the UB men's basketball program,” Hurley said in a released statement. “Today’s contract extension solidifies the university’s commitment to building an elite college basketball program here in Western New York.”

Hurley could not be reached for further comment.

Hurley’s extension adds one more year to his existing contract. He signed a five-year deal through the 2017-18 season to become head coach of the Bulls in March 2013. That contract paid Hurley an annual salary of $250,000 along with incentives and other benefits. UB did not say if the extension changes Hurley’s salary.

In March 2014, rumors emerged on Twitter that Hurley was in contention for multiple head coaching vacancies at larger programs like Virginia Tech and Boston College. Hurley denied these rumors on his personal twitter.

“Our men’s basketball program made tremendous progress in just one season under Coach Hurley and his staff,” said Athletic Director Danny White in a press release statement. “Our program is moving forward in the right direction and this is another positive step as we work, collectively, to build America's next big-time college athletics brand. Bobby is a talented coach, and we are confident his leadership will bring our program to new heights in the coming years.”

Buffalo opens its season Nov. 14 against South Dakota State at Alumni Arena.