A Week in Ink: Issue No. 38

The Flash No. 3

There's an amazing connection between comic writers and artists. A mediocre plot can be saved by an extraordinary artist and vice versa. "The Flash No. 3" manages to not only pull off some fantastic artwork backed by a noteworthy narrative, but the comic manages to do it all while crafted by the hands of only one man, Francis Manapul.

Manapul delivers a uniquely fresh take on the Scarlet Speedster that leaves readers both enthralled and empathetic for the man who's given his life to Central City. Instead of the hyper-active, quick, quip-maker readers often receive, Manapul's Flash is a burned out, run-down and, put simply, fatigued Barry Allen.

With Manapul on both writing and drawing duties, this issue contains a touch more insight and relatable humanity than most of the industry can bring to the table. Manapul sets the stage for the complexities of the hero, focusing on Allen's heroic endeavors both in and out of his nine-to-five job. What's left is a man too overworked and tired to completely work at his best and, as the end of the issue reveals, in danger of losing everything.

As Flash continues to fight both physical and mental battles, Manapul and his Scarlet Speedster should perpetually fly off the shelves as they represent some of the best efforts and most interesting visuals of the past year.

The Incredible Hulk No. 2

In the wake of Marvel's summer event, Fear Itself, the Marvel Universe has been shook to its very core. This has been a turbulent time: Thor's death, Bucky's reprisal of his Cold War role of Winter Soldier, but most importantly, comics greatest celebrity break-up, Banner and his rather large, green companion.

With Hulk out on his own, Banner is left to his own devices – something mad scientists with a specialization in gamma radiation should never be left to do – thus, predictably attempting to create his life's greatest failure, the creation of the Green Monster.

Writer Jason Aaron depicts the struggling scientist at his weakest moments, and manages to pull (albeit, only slightly) on the heartstrings of his readers. Banner's failing marriage is brought to a bubble, adding tension to the already volatile concoction of a man deprived of his only accomplishment in life. Add to that the fact that now everyone in his life has undergone the transformation to Hulk-hood and Banner is left alone, isolated in his self-loathing.

Adversely, Hulk is doing quite well separated from his fleshy, husk of a host. However, with trouble brewing at his newly founded lair amongst the Moloids, all is about to come crashing down around the monster.

With its stunning artwork and fantastic narrative, Hulk's ongoing tale of heroism and pertinent social commentary of what being a "monster" means is slowly hulking up to be one of Marvel's most remarkable series.

Diablo 3 No. 1

With Blizzard's third iteration of the hugely successful top-down role-player still a few months away, the fine folks at DC provide gamers a substantial amount of reading material to get their minds back into Diablo's world of swords and sorcery.

Following an outcast prince, the comic takes place some years after the closing events of D2. Tyrael, the Archangel of Justice, has chosen the next wielder of his blade but, as with any tale of legendary armaments, a simple exchange is never an option. The prince instead must move quickly to Arreat Crater and face the blade that will set the stage for a bloody reckoning of man and devil.

Artist Joseph LaCroix has a natural talent at recreating Blizzard's historic lore, giving extra attention to the issue's opening pages that depict Diablo's and Tyrael's mana-endowed origins. Surprisingly though, most of the concluding pages are spent depicting the life of the young prince ousted from his throne and are thus drawn in a rather bland contrast to the comic's explosive introduction.

With only four issues left in this genre-defying crossover, writer Aaron Williams should have plenty of time to please his story-famished readership. While the issue itself is no Eisner-winner, its detailed plot and true-to-form game-to-comic reproduction deserves attention, if only from the most fervent of diabolic gamers.