The Wrath of Con

While cape and cowl will be common attire in the Big Apple this weekend at New York Comic Con, local comic enthusiasts will get their fair share of the inky goodness in the form of the Buffalo Comicon.

For seven straight hours this Sunday wannabe heroes of all shapes and sizes will roam the Marriott Banquet room in their quests for collectibles, hand-drawn artwork and, of course, the best reads of the past three decades.

Students from UB will be out in full force, as UB's very own Comic club will partake in all of vast splendor that these kinds of events bring.

"I'm just excited about being surrounded by comics and comic fans for a full day," said Michael Hoffert Jr., UB Comics' vice-president and host of the "It Came From the Longbox" podcast.

And Queen City Bookstore, the event's host, is more than happy to oblige.

"It's comicon, we got a lot of local dealers, a lot of people selling comic books, it's not one of those big cons that you see, you know like in San Diego, down in Philly, Chicago. But it's one big show," said Emil Novak Jr., the son of the main street shop's owner. "Each year is always getting better because we're always changing stuff. We hype it a lot," Novak said.

While the annual show has been in existence for over a decade, this year's event looks to be one of the best yet. As DC's new 52 begins its final No. 1 issues and ongoing events like Fear Itself, Spider Island and Schism nearing their nail-biting conclusions, the event will serve as the perfect venue to discuss the past, present and future of comic's most famous properties.

DC and Marvel won't be the only comic crafters at the event. Artists and writers from all over Western New York will be in attendance to show off their wares.

"There's [Mike Gagnon] who does the restoration of classic comics, who lives up in Hamilton, Ont.," said Novak. "It's cool to have him, because comics aren't all about superheroes."

Among the guests: Gagnon, zombie aficionado Kyle Kaczmarczyk, Erich Coldviking (known for his dark reinterpretation of children's books in GeneRAGEtion X) and many more prominent Buffalo artists and illustrators.

Last year fans of classic comic strips like Charlie Brown got a long-time-coming surprise in the form of Weapon Brown, a post-apocalyptic reimagining of the world that Charles Schulz created.

This year, Buffalo Comicon hopes to be bigger and better than ever, with 700 in attendance last year, Buffalo Comicon 2011 forecast is nearing a thousand.

"Well over the past couple of years we've been trying to grow the show, to a nice level, and we seem to be on the right track," said Emil Novak Sr. "I think we'll see maybe more people in costume, more younger faces, which are our future readers, and a great buzz on the floor."

Students find the event a great place to find comics that the store doesn't always have in stock, and more often than not, at bargain-bin prices.

"Last year I came home with a backpack full of all sorts of [new comics] and I only spent like 30 bucks," said Josh Rakower, UB Comics' treasurer and cofounder.

But even before Buffalo's masked vigilantes gather at the Marriott on Sunday, the comic community will get a chance to gather at the Buffalo Central Library on Saturday for the 3rd Annual Buffalo Comics Fest. The Fest will incorporate events that span the entirety of the nerdy spectrum.

With Star Wars panels, comic book workshops, and events for the youth, Comics Fest will serve as the ideal precursor to Sunday's heroic gathering.

Buffalo Comicon runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. this Sunday at the Buffalo Marriott off Millersport Highway. Tickets cost $5.50 and will be sold at the door.