Sunday, April 28, 2024

A Week in Ink: Issue No. 35

I, Vampire No. 2

Just in time for the haunted holiday, "I, Vampire No. 2" stalks store shelves nation-wide to the ghastly delight of much of the shambling comic book horde.

DC's relaunch brought life into the decaying veins of the I, Vampire series, and while the series hasn't seen the light of day in over 25 years, writer Joshua Fialkov is absolutely killing it.

Following the exploits of the extraordinarily-brutal vampire queen Mary and her centuries-old ex Andrew Bennett, I, Vampire has enough thrills, chills and kills to bring anyone back from beyond the non-readership grave.

Fialkov's evocative plot of an upcoming holocaust of the human race is penned in stunning detail by some of the finest horror artists DC has to offer. Andrea Sorrentino, fresh off finishing his most recent run on the God of War comic-crossover, manages to illustrate frenetic fights and iconic asides in gritty detail going above and beyond to bring a certain realism to Fialkov's fantasy.

Admittedly on its own, "I, Vampire No. 2" rests on a very perplexing pedestal and can at times, leave readers in the (vampire) dust. Besides the occasional revisiting of an important panel or two, I, Vampire represents the best possible treat for this year's cellophane candy bag.

Daredevil No. 5

Mark Waid may be the modern-age Midas, as everything this comic creator touches turns to gold. Luckily for Daredevil fans the world over, Waid's put his phenomenal talent to use writing the latest plots for the Man Without Fear, Matt Murdock.

Murdock has been ousted again for allegedly donning the costume of Daredevil, a relatively large offense as Murdock himself is a lawyer. With his law firm teetering in the balance, Murdock must manage to save the day without ever being caught.

In "Daredevil No. 5" Waid seeks to add a new level of depth to his ongoing narrative, laying the groundwork for some emotionally charged issues over the coming year. Waid's Murdock is a figurative Atlas, carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and for all intents and purposes, that's the best kind of Murdock there is.

The issue's art will shock readers unacquainted with the flat-color palettes of yesteryear, and for some, even deter them from indulging in Waid's wonderful work. For those that can see past Murdock's muddled exterior, Daredevil is a masterpiece in the making, and if the history of the property holds true, Daredevil is one of the most intellectually exhilarating series on shelves.

While Waid concludes this issue with a rather lackluster cliffhanger, stakes are high for Daredevil. With just moments left to save his career and any shred of self-respect, Murdock is going to have to come out swinging.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles No. 3

The '90s were a simpler time. Saturdays held the promise of cartoons, cereal and a heaping helping of gaming, and long before the travesty of 2007's TMNT, the SoCal-inspired turtles were kings of the Saturday morning court.

With so much left to explore with the bipedal reptiles, the duo Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz are working to get readers their nostalgic fix.

The current run represents the closest to the original canon that readers will most likely ever get their hands on. And while Shredder's character has been kicked to the New York Street curb, Mikey, Leonardo, Donatello and Raph still have the same old city to clean up.

Dan Duncan realizes the need for exceptional artwork in the series, and manages to deliver on all fronts. Iconic characters like Master Splinter and Casey Jones are drawn nearly identical to their '90s counterparts, and the radioactive ooze that started it all seems to just seep from the issue.

The series' only qualm comes in the form of an identity crisis. Opposed to the tried and true color-coding of years past, the team at IDW felt it would be best to give all the turtles matching headbands, making the action confusing and following the dialogue a challenge.

While the issue seems slightly over-priced for its $3.99 price tag, Eastman and Watlz's run is the ultimate homage to a series cut down in its prime.