Sunday, April 28, 2024

A Week in Ink: Issue No. 31

Superman No. 1

America's red and blue boy scout has gotten a major facelift. While the Man of Steel now sports classy Kryptonian armor and an attitude to match, beyond all of Supes' latest upgrades his heart still beats the same old distinctive DC blood.

After tireless analysis, the issue's greatest triumph is also its most spectacular flaw: "Superman No. 1" has survived the relaunch unscathed, and nearly unaltered.

Though admittedly, while there has been little variation for Earth's invulnerable defender, his more susceptible alter-ego is experiencing more change than an Obama campaign. From a more powerful and distant Louis Lane to a completely redesigned Daily Planet, Clark Kent's professional life is sure to be full of more relatable trials and tribulations than years past.

George Perez's prolific pen and Jesus Merino's artistic ability synchronize in incredible ways, placing the Man of Steel back on a pedestal in the direct center of the comic book stage. Merino, most of all, has the challenge of uniting past and present, and he illustrates the iconic Metropolis in stunning detail. From the newly erected Daily Planet building to Superman's billowing cape and armor ensemble, each panel ushers in an artistic evolution through the Kryptonian's fresh coat of ink.

Coming to terms with change is never easy, and while the team's diligent reimagining of Supes' tried and true heroic formula lessens the blow, Metropolis will just never be the same.

Captain America & Bucky No. 622

Ed Brubaker and Marc Andreyko's Captain America run has been riding on the cusp of the year's best comics, and the Eisner award winning writer and his partner don't show any signs of letting up.

The team manages to outdo themselves, paying homage to Marvel's heroes of the Second World War, The Invaders. Utilizing a dated film reel to open this issue, Brubaker leads in strongly – the comic's vastly satisfying conclusion (in this case, a quick quip from The Submariner) finishes the issue even more strongly.

Cap and Bucky's relationship is highlighted in a magnificent tone throughout the series, and this issue adds to the ongoing theme with a few exceptional panels that demonstrate exactly why the duo was so good at beating back the Nazi offensive.

Artist Chris Samnee manages to maneuver between a style reminiscent of the original Invader issues and a more contemporary comic approach. That being said, readers unfamiliar with the antiquated mid-'70s Marvel art style may want to stray away from the series, if only for its relatively understated (and for some, uninteresting) illustrations.

The tension between a young, inexperienced Bucky Barnes and a disappointed Invaders is palpable. Brubaker and co. manage to take a team-up decades old and breathe new life into it, making this comic an absolute must-read in a week all too saturated with the remaining shreds of DC's The New 52 event.

Brilliant No. 1

In the pantheon of great comic names, the ones best remembered are those that are just as catchy as they are thought provoking. Action Comics, Watchmen, and Hellblazer are each just as memorable as the characters contained within them. Ironically, Brilliant just can't live up to its name.

Convoluted and long-winded, if Brilliant were a play, the first issue wouldn't have even set the stage – it's still out casting. Writer Brian Michael Bendis devotes so much time in his initial character development that there is little room left in the issue to really go anywhere, a trait very atypical of his other work.

Brilliant is the brainchild of long-time collaborators and highly regarded comic veterans Bendis and Mark Bagley. Individually, these writers represent a solid proportion of Marvel's leading projects, and create some of the industry's widest read issues (Ultimate Spider-Man sound familiar?).

Unfortunately, with the premise of the series sounding so gripping, it's a shame that the execution is so flawed. A group of college students that essentially create super-powers could have made for an absolutely unforgettable issue, but instead it will be written off as a weak attempt to ship Bendis and Bagley's half-baked pet project.

While Brilliant isn't exactly brilliant, the comic is bright and full of potential but far from the star of its class.