Friday, May 24, 2024

Reaching for new heights

It is rare to hear stories about children willingly going into a pool for the first time. For many parents, it is a stressful task that involves eardrums bursting due to the children screaming at the top of their lungs. As they grow up, however, most children lose their aquaphobia, learning to swim on their own.

This process was no different than what Rachel Sorg had to go through to eventually become the Division I swimmer she is now. If asked to swim 10 years ago, the senior says she would not have been a happy camper.

"My mom put me in a lap class twice a week when I was younger," she said. "I hated it at first. I cried every time I had to go to it, but after the first two weeks, it got better and I didn't mind going."

Fortunately, Sorg was able to scale the mountain that was water. At Canterbury High School in Ottawa, Ont., she helped coach athletes who looked for solace in the swimming pool.

"I swam for my high school for a few years," Sorg said. "There was no competition, though; I was more of a coach. High school sports in Canada are more for fun, not for competition."

After high school, Sorg decided to come to Buffalo. She based her decision on the fact that she would be challenged if she came to the states to swim, versus staying up north where she would dominate anyone who came her way. Also, Buffalo's academic standards helped in the decision-making process.

"Canada doesn't have a lot of scholarships," Sorg said. "The states in general have more opportunities for sports and academic options."

With the 2008 season at its end, Sorg looks to do something she has not been able to pull off in her career at Buffalo-make the conference finals. She believes that the goal could have been achieved last season, had it not been for a nagging injury. Sorg hopes to use the past injury as a driving force to lead her into the finals, where she believes she has the chance to do big things.

"My goal for the season is making the top eight," Sorg said. "Last year, I made the consolation round, but I was injured for the beginning of the season. This year should be better, and I definitely feel I have a better chance of making the finals."

Unlike most swimmers, and Americans, Sorg's favorite athlete is the world record holder in the 100-meter backstroke and 4x100-meter medley, Aaron Peirsol.

When Peirsol decided to be a swimmer, height was a key factor in his decision. The same can be said for Sorg because she could have gone down other roads with her height.

"Gym teachers told me I could have tried out for volleyball and basketball because I am tall," she said. "I ended up choosing swimming."

Sorg is happy didn't take her teachers' advice. Now she is one of the elite swimmers with the Bulls and can make some noise in the MAC Championships.