Saturday, June 15, 2024

‘Symbiosis’: A collection of thought-worthy student art

Diverse artwork conveys message of connection and collaboration

<p>The “Domestic Portraits Series” by Chloe Koegel.</p>

The “Domestic Portraits Series” by Chloe Koegel.

“Symbiosis,” an art collection created by first- and second-year MFA students, is on display this month at downtown Buffalo’s Center for Exploratory and Perceptual Arts (CEPA) Gallery. The exhibit’s name, “Symbiosis,” alludes to artistic connection and collaboration.

variable-sombre-dimension-i

"Variable Sombre Dimension I" by Salem Browning.

One of the most striking pieces was “Variable Sombre Dimension I” by Salem Browning, a master’s student at UB. 

Meant to open viewers’ minds to gender non-conformity and to speak out against societal pressures and stereotypes, the piece consisted of a short video display and painted glass beads in the shape of chromosomes. The cool-toned video showed the artist first standing on a beach shore, observing the water and the patterns of the waves. After cutting between close-ups of the waves and close-ups of the artist, the artist is seen picking up a bag that says, “WOMB.” The artist slowly descends into the water and calmly allows the waves to take over.

Another notable piece was by H. Boone’s maze-like poem, accompanied by a to-size 3D print of a frog and a transparent print of a frog. This collection was a criticism of the reactions conservative media had to the 2014 study exploring the hormone changes in frogs that resulted in same-sex mating and sex-changing. A line from the poem reads, “THE GAY AGENDA — CULTS — RELIGION — SIN — HELL — DEMON SPIRITS INCARNATE IN HYBRID BODIES.”

A few pieces focused on the experiences of blue-collar workers. A photo of a migrant worker titled “Chilo y mochila de pestecidas” captures the exploitation of undocumented and migrant workers in the U.S. A group of hand-drawn portraits accompanied by photographs portrays UB’s custodians in positions that show their exhaustion — a criticism of the way UB overworks and underpays its employees.

Another notable piece was the “Domestic Portraits Series” by Chloe Koegel. It is a collection of print portraits made with ink and household objects such as a toilet plunger, a whisk, books, a spatula and more.

The gallery will be open until June 7.

The arts desk can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com