Friday night guy

Senior pitcher Mike Stangroom was not always a stud pitcher for the Bulls. Before coming to Buffalo, Stangroom was just an unknown baseball player looking to make a name.

Before Stangroom caught a break, he started his collegiate career at Division III Ursinus College in Pennsylvania. While in Pennsylvania, he had 2.15 ERA his freshman year and piled up a 6-2 record as a sophomore.

Stangroom was content pitching for any school, but it was not until the summer of 2007 that a Division I team recognized his talent.

"He played with a couple of our guys over the summer," said Buffalo Manager Ron Torgalski. "He liked the guys and wanted to play at a higher level... and he really came in well."

Stangroom was not going to put aside the opportunity to pitch for a Division I team.

Stangroom was not sought after by Division I teams coming out of high school and under the radar. When the chance arrived going into his junior year in college, he seized the opportunity.

The adjustment to Division I baseball did not faze Stangroom.

Last year, his first with the Bulls, Stangroom led the Mid-American Conference with a 3.06 ERA and one home run allowed. He was also fifth in opponents' batting average, holding opponents to a .245. Those stats helped him secure a spot on the Second Team All-MAC squad.

But Stangroom has more team goals on his mind. He looks to lead his team to a MAC Championship.

"If he continues to throw the way he does... he definitely has a chance [to be first team All-MAC]," Torgalski said.

Though he would be elated by receiving such an honor, it is not Stangroom's primary goal.

"It would be nice to get it, but I'd rather have the team win games," Stangroom said.

There is also a regular season that needs to be played before any award discussions start.

He has become Buffalo's ace because of last year's success as a starting pitcher. This gave him a chance to be the No.1 starter two weekends ago against last year's College World Series champion, Fresno State.

Despite a no decision against last year's National Champion, Stangroom added to his impressive stats. He struck out seven batters and gave up only one earned run.

However, it doesn't really matter who Buffalo is playing. Stangroom says he goes into every contest with the same attitude and nerves.

"This is the first time I have ever been the No.1 guy," Stangroom said. "There is always some pressure before the game, but after you throw that first pitch it goes away."

Despite the pressure, Stangroom has been able to impress his manager. According to Torgalski, Stangroom has become Buffalo's "Friday Night Guy". Whenever a three-game series starts on Friday, he is the one that opens up play to get the team off to a solid start.

The pressure of pitching big games has taken a toll on Stangroom's arm. As reliable as it is on Friday, his arm needs to get checked out during the week. A few stretches just to keep it loose does the trick, and when the weekend comes around, teams know that he is fresh and ready to hurl.

"He has to see a chiropractor Tuesday and Thursday due to slight issues in his elbow," Torgalski said.

The elbow has not bothered him thus far this season, and he remains the No. 1 starter. Stangroom was one of two pitchers named MAC East Pitcher of the Week so far this year.

It could be the first of numerous accolades that Stangroom grabs this season.