Green with envy

???At Buffalo, it is commonplace for freshmen joining the wrestling team to redshirt their freshman year.

???The coaches want to make sure the wrestlers get into the swing of things, transitioning from high school. Desi Green, a 149-pound redshirt-freshman, was no exception.

???"We felt like he needed a year to develop him physically and academically," said head coach Jim Beichner.

???Green agreed with no qualms, claiming that the year off might develop him into a better wrestler.

???"It is a real big jump from high school to college," Green said. "[The redshirt year] helped me because I got a free year, not affecting my record. It is probably why I am so successful this year."

???During his high school years, Green played three sports and was uncertain of which one he wanted to stick with. His wrestling coach in high school eventually became the catalyst in his decision.

???"Up until my senior year, I played lacrosse, football and wrestling," Green said. "My coach said if I stuck with wrestling, I could possibly get a scholarship."

???Listening to his coach, Green pursued wrestling and ended up earning a scholarship to Buffalo. This season, Green is 30-6, 14-1 dual, and just this past weekend earned the only victory for the team when they traveled to Central Michigan.

???Being that he is only a redshirt-freshman, few could have guessed that Green would be having such success. Beichner would be one of those few who knew early on that Green would be a tough lion to tame in his weight class.

???"Desi is a natural athlete," Beichner said. "Combine his athleticism and work ethic, and you got something special. He is a natural 149-pounder."

???A natural athlete is good to have on any team, but when that athleticism branches out into leadership and means of motivation, it improves the whole team, Beichner explained. Green is quickly progressing into one of those leaders. He is not doing it with words of wisdom. Instead, he is doing it with his ability. When his teammates see him wrestle, they are inspired to do just as well.

???"He has developed into one of the best leaders on the team," Beichner said. "They say actions speak louder than words, and he isn't a loud leader, but when he steps into the room he is ready to go every single day."

???Green does not mind taking over a leadership role on the team. Beichner expects Green to become a team captain sometime during his college career, but for now he has no problem being the unofficial team motivator.

???Wrestling is unique in that, though it is based on individual performance, it helps a lot to see teammates winning their matches.

???Beichner said that Green steps up every single match in the hopes that his drive and determination might rub off onto his teammates. If this occurs, there is a better chance at winning the meet.

???"If your team is winning, it is easier to motivate you to win," Green said. "But if your team is losing, you really have nothing driving you to win."

???Like most athletes, Green has his own methods of getting himself pumped before a match. He starts off with the song "Lollipop," and when he finishes that, starts "Poppin' Bottles," a routine that throughout his collegiate career he does all the time.

???"Lil Wayne always amps me," Green said. "Before every one of my matches, Wayne gets me revved up."

???Green's season goal is to win the MAC Championships and go with his team to nationals. With his leadership skills, determination, motivation, and inspiration, teammates and coaches believe that the sky is the limit for Green.