Quaker challenge

Even after 110 minutes of game play and a shootout, the Bulls and the Penn Quakers couldn't decide a victor in their match.

On Thursday, the Bulls (5-2-1, 1-0-0 Mid-American Conference) and the Penn Classic-hosting Quakers (3-0-2) played to a 0-0 tie, keeping the Quakers undefeated for yet another day. Penn has not allowed a goal in the entire season after five games and 57 shots.

Bulls head coach John Astudillo felt that after a disappointing opening half, the Bulls were lucky to walk out with a tied final.

"Our defense was a little shaky in the beginning, and Penn was really strong, coming at us from every angle," Astudillo said.

Astudillo knew that this contest would be a challenge for the Bulls, and felt that after the shaky first half, the team played well. He acknowledged that even though a few weeks ago his team played strong teams in Michigan and Michigan State, Penn was their most difficult challenge up to this point in their season.

"We should have beaten Michigan State," Astudillo said. "As of now, Penn was absolutely the best team we have played thus far."

As the second half of the game began, the Bulls offense began to pressure the Quakers. They began to maintain longer ball possession, which led to more shots taken.

Unfortunately, none found the back of the net. With such an impressive turn around between halves, the Bulls and Astudillo walked off the field unsatisfied that no goals were produced from their improved offense.

"In the second half our offense got it in gear, we were really pressing them a lot," Astudillo explained. "The quality of play was very, very high and in the end we were disappointed."

The Bulls looked to finish the game in overtime, but were unable to find the back of the net. Both teams finished with eight shots.

With the scoreless tie, junior goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth recorded another shutout. It was his third of the season and his second shutout in a row. Shuttleworth has not been scored on in 206 minutes. Penn goalie Drew Healy recorded his fifth shutout of the season, not allowing a goal in any of Penn's games.

While the Bulls were hoping to add another win to their record, Astudillo understands that injuries could be partially held accountable for the games result. He felt that because all the starters were not playing, there is a certain amount of harmony between players taken away during game play.

"I do not question the boys and their fitness right now; we have had very little time to train and try to work out the kinks," says Astudillo. "We just have to try and avoid the injuries we are picking up by rotating players in and out."

When MAC games roll around in early October, Astudillo explained that his team should be ready to handle the competition without having to worry about injuries.

Astudillo also explained that he purposely played high-quality teams so that his team would be physically and mentally prepared to deal with conference teams.

"The strength of schedule is always indicative of how good a team you are," Astudillo stated.

After the Penn Tournament, the Bulls return to Buffalo to battle cross-town rival Canisius on Wednesday. Gametime is 7 pm.