Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Letters to the editor

Edit note

From Wednesday morning (Nov. 8) to press time Sunday evening, The Spectrum received more than 75 letters in response to Managing Editor Justin L.W. Haag's column "What are you fighting for?" (titled "Protest at what cost?" on The Spectrum's Web site). Through blogs, radio shows and other mediums Haag's column has spread across the country and mail continues to come in by the hour - the response has been unprecedented.

Presented here is a sampling of the letters received that represent in ratio the general opinions sent to The Spectrum. Submissions are always welcome and can be submitted to spectrum-eic@buffalo.edu or mailed to The Spectrum, 132 Student Union, Amherst, NY 14260. Letters over 500 words are rarely selected for print due to limited space.

- Robert Pape, editor in chief

Yes, Mr. Haag. I have looked into the eyes of a small Iraqi child who has nothing. Quite a few Iraqi children, actually. And their mothers, and their fathers, and their grandparents' eyes, as well. Who all have nothing because the United States military has abandoned all pretense of liberating their people, and have destroyed their homes, their schools, their jobs, and even their ability to find clean water, in an effort to fight insurgents. Yes, I know that many Iraqis are very grateful to see US soldiers in their country - but only when they're helping to rebuild, which is a rare occurrence in the past few years. It's far too common for these innocent Iraqi civilians to be killed or injured by U.S. weaponry - both our military's modern-day artillery, and the decades-old artillery provided to Hussein by our own government.

There were no "War for Oil" signs at our rally because anti-war protestors don't need to sensationalize anything. There were no biased statistics because the actual death tolls and increasing number of active terrorist groups are outrageous enough. There were no verbal attacks against the United States military by our speakers - in fact, we had veterans present that were devoutly anti-war, protesting alongside us. I notice that Mr. Haag can only criticize what he thinks our group is about. He's never been to a meeting, he's never attempted to meet our leaders or members, and he's never even asked about our principles as a group.

I'm glad that Mr. Haag made that little girl's day. Now, Mr. Haag, you should continue to fight for her by facing the fact that we are not, as Americans, giving her any freedom by setting up elections that only voted in pro-US candidates in Iraq. By denying the abilities of "everyday" Iraqis to partake in political mobility based on their desires, and not the United States' goals. Yes, thousands of our servicemen are fighting in Iraq. But unfortunately, most of them are unable to accomplish anything that resembles "freedom" for the Iraqi people, and over 2000 Americans have returned in body bags. This is not courage. This is a tragedy.

Sophia Azeb

UB Anti-War Action leader

Thank you Justin, for putting you words down to share. They have moved me to tears. My son is currently deployed with the USMC (United States Marine Corps.), and I often times find myself wondering if anyone else out there gets it. All you see is the negative side of Iraq in the headlines and on the news. You, sir, and all those like you, are what this country needs to carry on our nation's proud heritage. Without those of you willing to take a stand, this country wouldn't be around much longer. It is all too sad that those who seem to take advantage the most are the ones who understand, the least how blessed they truly are.

Vicki Mayer

Online reader

As a former Marine, let me say that I am very proud that men such as yourself are carrying on the traditions of the Corps. Keep up the good work and thanks for writing this column. Semper Fi.

Dave Nolen

Online reader

What a must-read article. You articulate well what is great about Americans and why we are beacons of hope in a unstable world. Thank you for your service to all of us, to our great country, to the knowing and unknowing alike. Love & kisses to you all! You make me proud to be an American.

Kathy DeWitt

Online reader

I can't help but respond to Justin Haag's Wednesday editorial. Mr. Haag, you have misunderstood the entire anti-war movement in a way that can only be described as unfortunate. The most unfortunate part of your misunderstanding is that you are not alone in it.

I have always maintained that it is an egregious oversimplification to say that our troops are fighting for freedom in Iraq. While it is no doubt true that we would all like to see peace and democracy in Iraq, that is not the reason we are there. If our only goal was to spread peace and democracy throughout the world and prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, we would do better to start in North Korea.

You have been duped, Mr. Haag, much like a large part of the American public, into thinking that peace was the only impetus for invading Iraq and that to suggest otherwise is "anti-American" or "not supporting the troops." The truth is that the anti-war movement supports those serving just as much as anyone else if not more so. What we don't support is a government that would have them leave their families and friends and give their lives so Halliburton can get that juicy oil contract or so George Bush can get that "rally around the flag" effect in his poll numbers.

This debate is not about saving money by staying out of war. This is not about the bravery of some and the cowardice of others. This is about holding our leaders accountable for lying to us, and voicing our disapproval. This is about being diplomats rather than police. This is about leading by example and not by force. I truly thank you for your sacrifices, Mr. Haag. I can't imagine going through what you have and I profoundly respect you for it. But don't let your experiences blind you to the other side of the coin.

PJ Hines

UB Student

Semper fi, young man, semper fi.

Stan Bennett

Online reader

I'm glad that you feel good about the time you've spent in Iraq.

Bush's latest justification for the war indeed happens to be oil:

"You can imagine a world in which these extremists and radicals got control of energy resources," he said at a rally here Saturday for Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colo.). "And then you can imagine them saying, 'We're going to pull a bunch of oil off the market to run your price of oil up unless you do the following. And the following would be along the lines of, well, 'Retreat and let us continue to expand our dark vision.' "

Bush said extremists controlling Iraq "would use energy as economic blackmail" and try to pressure the United States to abandon its alliance with Israel. At a stop in Missouri on Friday, he suggested that such radicals would be "able to pull millions of barrels of oil off the market, driving the price up to $300 or $400 a barrel."

Anti-war protesters don't hate you nor do they hate Iraqi children. They hate the war and they hate the dishonesty that has surrounded its justification and continuation for close to four years now.

Your anger at anti-war protesters might be far better spent if directed towards those who would muddy the waters so regarding why we are there and what we're trying to accomplish. You know the moving goal-posts as well as I do:

1 Find the WMD

2 Topple Saddam

3 Fight them in Baghdad - not on Main Street

4 Bringing Democracy to the Middle East

5 etc., etc., ...

...the list goes on, and now it officially includes protecting our oil supply against price manipulation.

There are many, many legitimate reasons for which one might protest the war. You look foolish lashing out at harmless war protesters without focusing any scrutiny or critical analysis on the war's "Justification of the Week" architects and driving forces.

Adam Stanhope

Online reader

Thank you, sir, for your comments, and for having the bravery to do so in a student newspaper. I am glad it was picked up by the national media. It is refreshing to hear a commentary from someone who has carried a weapon in defense of their country, and to use that commentary to gently remind those privileged few who denigrate our flag and your service that they do so owing a great debt to those who have given their blood, sweat and tears to this country. I am certain you will get rabid, hateful responses from those who didn't listen to your message, but I am certain you will bear it with dignity.

Well done.

Who-ah!

Charles Harvey

SGT, USA-USAR 1985-96

Online reader

I would like to congratulate The Spectrum for printing such a wonderful article by Justin Haag. In regards to the war, for the last four years I have grown used to the constant crying of college brats in The Spectrum's editorials who refuse to grow up or lace up a pair of combat boots and find out the truth for themselves. Mr. Haag (I apologize I do not know your rank so please forgive any disrespect) is a hero to our country for his service and it is nice to see The Spectrum print some real first hand experience instead of the armchair quarterback dogma it learns from CNN or the New York Times like it usually does. I hope after Officer Training School I will have the opportunity to bring back some first hand perspective to UB like Mr. Haag has or like my Father and so many other Americans have brought back to their communities. Thank you Spectrum, thank you Justin Haag, and God Bless America.

Andrew Tarnowski

UB student

God Bless You Justin. And God Bless the United States Marine Corp. With fine men like you fighting against terrorism, our country will prevail.

Phil Brindley

Online reader

Justin, as a Vietnam veteran and the father of a Jarhead with two tours in the sandbox, I just wanted to thank you for your words. I don't know anything about Buffalo, but I suspect your need to write as you did, so movingly, was not some theoretically-based response, but rather a reaction to something you have seen.

I live in a college town as well and went through the same thing in the late '60s as well as now. It is painful to watch history repeat itself, including seeing some of the same characters from those days, who obviously learned nothing from that earlier experience.

Always, but especially during our son's tours, it is difficult to walk/drive by the public protests without reacting in a different way than you have. Hope your readers listen and honor your words. Happy Marines' Birthday and have a well-deserved celebration on Veteran's Day.Semper Fi, Marine.

Michael Fields

Columbia, Mo.

Online reader