Fall Fest falls early this year

Over a month before most of UB's Fall Fests normally take place, this year's lineup will be raising the "Temperature" Friday, Sept. 8. Featured at the concert, a free event for all UB undergrads, will be chart topping artist Sean Paul as well as Cam'Ron, Clipse and Kelis.

There are a number of factors that have played a role in the early kickoff for this year's Fest, according to Student Association president Viqar Hussain. Time restrictions for the performers and availability of a back-up building in case of rain, along with budget constraints, all contribute to when Fall Fest takes place.

"When something is different or has changed, we want to let the students know why," Hussain said. "This is the earliest we've ever had Fall Fest."

Consequently, advertising in time for Fall Fest may become a challenge for SA. Many students have noted a lack of promotional material or updates around campus.

"I've gone to Fall Fest a few times before," said Jessica Hosley, a senior English major. "I haven't seen any advertising for it. I have no idea who's playing or when it is."

While marketing for this Fall Fest has not been as widespread as in previous years, students expressed enthusiasm upon hearing that Sean Paul will be featured.

"I live off campus, so I haven't heard anything about it," said Yasmin Said, a sophomore undecided major. "But I'll go to see Sean Paul and Cam'Ron."

Students who knew about the Fall Fest headliner were still in the dark about the annual UB concert's details.

"I'm going to see Sean Paul," said Kamali Liyanage, a senior psychology major. "I don't even know who the other bands are."

According to Hussain, there has been some advertising for Fall Fest at nightclubs and message boards about Sean Paul on Facebook. And now that school has started up again, SA anticipates rapid promotion of the upcoming concert.

"Within two days, everyone is going to know Sean Paul is performing," Hussain

Working around the artist's schedules is not the only obstacle SA faces, as they also have to stay within a $200,000 budget. A student poll last semester showed Jay-Z was a popular choice, but to book him would have cost $300,000.

"I spoke with (Jay-Z) personally," Hussain said. "Not only could we not afford him, but Buffalo was too small of a venue for him. He would come out of retirement to perform at larger places like Madison Square Garden."

SA was not concerned that they were unable to book Jay-Z, as Sean Paul was just as popular a candidate amongst the student body.

"Sean Paul was really hot last semester, and he still is really hot," Hussain said.

SA will conduct another student poll later this semester, including freshmen's suggestions for Spring Fest artists. However, there wont be any repetition of previous bands to ensure that upperclassmen will enjoy a new show.

"We could get Dane Cook again, but we had him last year," Hussain said. "Even though the incoming students weren't here for it last time, the upperclassmen don't want to see the same show again."

According to Hussain, Fall Fest and Spring Fest are targeted for mainstream audiences. While Fall Fest caters to the rap/hip hop genre of music, Spring Fest will aim to have rock/alternative bands.

"We make sure to provide a wide genre of music. Fall Fest isn't just rap," Hussain said. "Sean Paul is reggae, Clipse is more hip-hop, Cam'Ron is rap and Kelis is R&B."

Beyond Fall Fest and Spring Fest, SA offers smaller concerts for students who typically wouldn't see bands they like at popular performances.

"We're here for the students. We don't book artists for the president of SA, or the vice president, or just the incoming freshmen," Hussain said. "There's 17,000 (undergraduate) students at UB and we want to provide entertainment for everyone."

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the show starts at 6 p.m. at Baird Point, weather permitting. Free for UB undergrad students with their UB Card at the door; tickets $30 for the general public.