UB and NFTA strike a fare deal

University officials and the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) have announced they will team up to offer students a discounted travel fare starting fall 2006, a move that could alleviate parking issues while saving commuter students hundreds of dollars per semester.

The Unlimited Ride Program would be available to students for only $25 per semester, compared to the regular fee of $66 a month. Under the program, students would only pay $50 an academic year for unlimited access to the Metro bus and rail systems, which could save students up to $544 annually.

"We've been having discussions with the university on and off for the last couple of years," said C. Douglas Hartmayer, director of Public Affairs for NFTA. "We look to sign up as many schools as possible. UB has always been on our list."

UB is the fifth school to adopt the program. Bryant & Stratton College was the first to enroll, approximately four years ago, and Medaille College, Canisius College and Buffalo State College have since followed suit.

University officials said they adopted the program after students expressed a need and that it will provide numerous benefits to both campus residents and commuters.

"Over the course of the past couple of years, many students have expressed interest in the NFTA transit pass program," said Chris Austin, adjudication and transportation coordinator for Parking and Transportation Services. "The average student will benefit from the discounted rate and the additional access to entertainment, mall and shopping center venues throughout the region."

Alicia Sherrick, a senior history major, said she would take advantage of this program.

"It's a lot cheaper. I'd use it," Sherrick said. "I take the bus downtown to see Sabres games, things like that."

The Unlimited Ride Program would also be helpful for commuters.

"I take the bus to and from campus and to the mall," said Edward Stoke, a sophomore physics major who said he would make use of the discounted fare.

Other students said while they might not sign up for the program, it would benefit other students.

"I have my own car, so I wouldn't use it," said Kate Dunning, a sophomore English and French major. "It's a good idea, though, for the people who would use it, since it's so much cheaper."

Dunning said that she wouldn't leave her car at home to save on gas by using the buses, because she needs her car to travel between home and school.

"It wouldn't be convenient," Dunning said. "The cost to get a bus or plane ticket to go home and then come back (to school) is more expensive than the (local) bus fare."

NFTA officials said they are excited for the program to start.

"(We will be) putting the public transit system to its fullest use," Hartmayer said. "Certainly we want to get as many students signed up as possible to make it worthwhile for the university and for the Metro."

Hartmayer said the program will also provide added safety for students who frequent the downtown area on the weekends, especially for those who choose to drink.

"(Students will) not have to worry about the driving," Hartmayer said.

An open forum will be held Monday in room 330 in the Student Union from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. to provide students more information about the program.