Return of DJ Series attracts big crowd

Despite the fact that Saturday was April Fool's Day, there was no joking around when it came to the latest Student Association event hosted at Club Level. The DJ Series has come back with a vengeance this semester, opening its first night with DJ Camilo, also known as the "international club king" of the radio station Hot 97 N.Y.C.

Lines formed outside the building as people crammed into the club to hear Camilo, who is no stranger to large crowds. During the Splash Festival in Germany, Camilo performed in front of 30,000 people.

While the event Saturday evening was on a much smaller scale, it was nonetheless a big deal here. Since the last performance for the DJ Series was in October of 2004, its return was well supported by the students in attendance.

"It was a big success," said SA Vice President Sonia Kang. "There was always a line outside the door."

SA treasurer Mazin Kased said the fact that Club Level was packed led him to believe without seeing the numbers that the event made more money than previous DJ Series.

"I'm not exactly sure how much we brought in, but I think it might have been about $3,500," Kased said. "We got back actually a lot of money."

DJ Camilo was an estimated $7,000 to hire for performing, while the room at Level was about $3,000 to rent, according to Marc Rosenblit, SA entertainment director.

The Sphere, which is now under new ownership and deemed Towne Ballroom, was the original home for the series. Due to an eruption of violence, among other causes, the series was put on hold until this past Saturday.

Since the last DJ Series, SA has considered several places to rekindle event.

"Our two options were at Level and the Sphere, but Towne Ballroom has events going on Saturday night," said SA president Dela Yador. "We aren't locked into one place though."

The transition from the Sphere to Level went without a hitch.

"Level is the biggest venue, and we have a working relationship with them," Kang said.

Despite the large turnout Saturday night, SA does not plan on having another DJ Series this semester. Instead, they will aim for the fall to host another DJ event if the opportunity presents itself, according to Kang.

"We only have a month left in this semester. It would be kind of hard to find a talent and book them," Kang said. "Besides, we're focusing our budget on distinguished speakers and Spring Fest for the rest of the semester."

DJ Camilo has performed worldwide, including such countries as Finland, Austria, Canada, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Sweden, England and Amsterdam.