UB University Police have unconfirmed report of man dropping gun in Student Union

Immediate threat to campus not suspected

<p>Several University Police patrol the Student Union Monday afternoon after a report of a gun being dropped in the Union. </p>

Several University Police patrol the Student Union Monday afternoon after a report of a gun being dropped in the Union. 

University Police say they have an unconfirmed report of a man dropping what appeared to be a gun in the Student Union and then exiting the building with it Monday afternoon.

UPD canvassed the campus but could not find anyone matching the description of the suspect, which was a black, bald male wearing a hoodie and very baggy white sweat pants that were falling down. The suspect was also said to be showing black underwear and carrying a red back pack. 

UB Spokesperson John Della Contrada said UPD does not believe there is an immediate threat to campus, but that officers would have an increased patrol of North Campus Monday night.

A text alert about the situation went out around 3:44 p.m. Monday. Several UPD officers were walking around the Union lobby around 3 p.m. and questioning at least one student. Lieutenant David Urbanek told The Spectrum that a few students saw someone drop what looked like a gun but that nothing was recovered. He also said UPD was unsure if the suspect is a student or not.

At least one witness described the suspect as a man with shoulder length dreadlocks with blonde highlights to UPD, which would contradict the description of the bald man.

The suspect was said to have dropped the alleged gun out of his waist ban and placed the gun back in his waist ban before exiting the building. 

UPD said anyone with information should call 716-645-2222.

This story has been updated to include new information and we will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.