Student soundoff: Capen renovations

UB Students voice their opinions on the construction in the library

The third floor of the Oscar A. Silverman Library, located in Capen Hall, is closed. This is one of many Heart of the Campus renovation projects across all of UB’s campuses. Capen will be closed at least until November, according to officials.

The Spectrum went around campus to get student opinions on the ‘Club Capen’ overhaul.

Sahiba Rupal, a sophomore biological sciences major

“Why would you renovate during a semester? Why wouldn’t you do it over the summer when no one’s here?”

Danielle Miesch (center left), a junior speech and hearing sciences major (second from left)

“I go to Lockwood a lot so it kinda sucks because all of the Capen people are gonna be in Lockwood now.”

Karan Boom Shah, a freshman mechanical and aerospace engineering major

“Before my chemistry final, my friends and I stayed on the third floor of Capen a lot, so I think it’s a really good space so it’ll be kind of sad that I won’t be able to use it now for about a year.”

Kristina Lochan, a senior civil engineering major

“I think it’s a good thing because that place needed to change because it was just uninviting, but I’m a senior so that shouldn’t phase me.”

Andrew Chiang, a senior health and human services major

“It’s about damn time because it was poorly designed before. Since I live on South, they should renovate [the Health Sciences Library] while they’re at it.”

Tasneem Ahmad, a junior occupational therapy major

“Due to unforeseen circumstances, I’ll build a mini-Capen in my house instead of coming to North.”

Shahida Khan, a sophomore biological sciences major

“Capen was my second home, it was more study-oriented but also it was a great place to hang out.”

email: news@ubspectrum.com