Shmacked is wack

A skewed view of college partying

Spectrum File Photo
Spectrum File Photo

Thursday, I spent $40 to get into a frat party.

I stepped into the poorly lit room donning an “X” on both my hands, ready to dance the night away. The music was blasting, there were crazy colored lights everywhere and the MC was wearing a mysterious white mask.

What I saw once I got closer to the dance floor was what one would call a standstill – literally. Everyone on the dance floor was standing around, chatting amongst friends.

I was confused; I was pretty sure I had just bought a ticket to I’m Shmacked – the Internet sensation that highlights college party life.

There was no dancing at all. No screaming, no people ripping their shirts off and no one hopped up on an unknown cocktail of drugs.

So what was all the hype about?

It took about an hour in to figure it out: Soon, more people trickled into Town Ballroom and the crowd began to move around to the music. The cameras started to appear, speckled amongst the crowd. Groups of friends would surround a cameraman, shouting profanities and making a scene. Two girls who weren’t even speaking to each other began kissing as soon as they saw the camera lights.

But when the cameras are off, the party is not quite a party.

It didn’t take long to see the people who work for I’m Shmacked edit their videos heavily in order to create the images of wild festivities.

I definitely believe Town Ballroom played a part in the disappointment. It seemed rather unnatural to have everything so meticulously planned: gathering everyone into a small space and then forcing a concert that was really just a DJ mixing popular songs.

After attending the event it became clear the point of the videos is to record college students doing ridiculous things, not demonstrate college life.

The reality is, people usually aren’t that reckless.

The videos from I’m Shmacked of Delaware last fall consist of students attacking cars, rioting and being belligerent on the streets. In reality, this was a small percentage of the thousands of students who decided being Internet famous was more important than facing legal charges for the damage they caused.

For the Buffalo version of the video, students came in costumes in hopes of being on camera. There was a guy in a banana suit, a group of girls wearing nothing but flags and way too many guys in red headbands.

Cameramen would flock to these groups, only to disappear after a moment or two when their gimmick stopped being interesting.

Most people who dressed up wasted their time and effort. I watched at least 10 costumed partiers get kicked out of the venue for drinking or smoking. They were now trapped downtown in the cold and out $40.

The point I’m trying to make is a good party doesn’t need to be recorded, or paid for. I could have had a more enjoyable night in my apartment with my closest friends, watching a movie and relaxing together. Instead, I made the decision to go out, and was heavily disappointed.

So, I’m Shmacked. Until you prove to me how I’m really missing out on something by staying in and avoiding the massive party scene, I’m going to continue doing what I do best: enjoying the company of close friends.

email: tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com