Fall Fest Cheat Sheet

Fun facts about the four artists coming to Fall Fest this year

Courtesy of Brandon Shigeta
Courtesy of Brandon Shigeta

Rain or shine, on Sept. 6 at 6 p.m., Fall Fest 2014 will be upon us with T.I. and Schoolboy Q co-headlining and opening acts by Ab-Soul and Bas.

Some of those names may sound more familiar than others. For those worried about going to Fall Fest without any knowledge of the people performing, don’t worry, you’ll know more about the acts than Taylor Swift knows about breakups.

Schoolboy Q:

1. Schoolboy Q was born on a German military base while both his parents were serving in the military. He spent the first three years of his life in Texas, before his family eventually settled in Los Angeles.
  2. In high school, he loved sports and played football, baseball, basketball and joined the swimming team.
  3. He has a four-year-old daughter named Joy Hanley, whom he has mentioned in several of his songs. She is also in a few of his music videos, including "Phenomenon," "Nightmare on Figg St." and "There He Go."
  4. He says the way he raps, or his "rhyme style” is derived from Brooklyn rapper Jay-Z.
  5. Schoolboy Q has stated his idol is hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs, from whom he adopted the nickname "Puffy."
  6. His most popular song is “Collard Greens” off his latest album “Oxymoron.”
  7. Schoolboy Q’s full name is Quincey Matthew Hanley.
  8. Schoolboy Q capitalizes all his “H”s to represent what is dear to him: Hiiipower (a term developed by artist Kendrick Lamar that promotes a higher understanding of the world), hippy, hoover, heaven and hell.
  9. Q has come out with five albums, the first is “Gangsta and Soul” and the most recent being “Oxymoron.”
  10. He has been nominated for a Grammy, an MTV music award, and a BET award.

T.I.:

1. T.I.’s other nicknames include Rubberband Man, King of the South, and T.I.P.
  2. He has had public feuds with three different artists: Ludacris, Lil Flip, and Shawty Lo.
  3. T.I was arrested four hours before the 2007 BET awards for illegal gun possession.
  4. In 2009, T.I. produced the show “T.I.’s Road To Redemption” following the 45 days before his sentencing for drug charges. His hope was to discourage teenagers from a life of crime by showing them the less glamorous side of conviction.
  5. On Oct. 13, 2010, T.I. convinced Joshua Starks, a 24-year-old man contemplating suicide in Atlanta, not to jump from a 22-story building
  6. T.I. is also a ghostwriter, or someone who writes lyrics for other artists. He’s written for artists such as Diddy, Dr. Dre, and Bow Wow.
  7. He has won 64 awards for his music out of 170 nominations.
  8. T.I. worked with troubled youths throughout 2004-2005 at the Paulding Youth Center in Atlanta
  9. He owns his own nightclub in Atlanta called Club Crucial. It’s one of the most popular clubs in the area, and celebrities such as Monica and Big Boi have been spotted making appearances.
  10. On Aug.18, 2014, it was announced that T.I. had been added to the cast of Marvel's upcoming film Ant-Man, starring Paul Rudd.

Bas:

1. Bas’s full name is Abbas Hamad.
  2. He was born in Paris, France.
  3. Bas released his first studio album, Last Winter April 29, 2014.
  4. The rapper is from New York – Queens specifically.
  5. The artist is signed on J.Cole’s Dreamville Records.

Ab-Soul:

1. Like Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul’s father was stationed in Germany. Though the artist was born in Los Angeles, shortly after his birth his family moved to Germany where the artist spent the first four years of his life.
  2. When he was 10 years old, he developed a disease called Stevens-Johnson syndrome. He was hospitalized, and the disease turned his lips darker and made his eyes light sensitive.
  3. Ab-Soul grew up around music, as his parents owned a record store when he was growing up.
  4. The artist is influenced by the music of Jay-Z, Twista, and Eminem.
  5. He is part of the group Black Hippy, alongside artists such as Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, and Schoolboy Q.