Obama calls for more action in State of the Union address

On Tuesday night, President Barack Obama delivered his fifth State of the Union address.

In a speech that lasted roughly 65 minutes, Obama spoke on a myriad of topics, including wealth inequality, energy independence, job growth and education. At the forefront of his speech, however, was a call for his administration and Congress to, quite simply, do more.

"Let's make this a year of action," Obama said. "That's what most Americans want. For all of us in this chamber to focus on their lives, their hopes, their aspirations."

Though he spoke about collaboration and teamwork, Obama said he would bypass the divided Congress in certain situations.

"I'm eager to work with all of you," Obama said. "But America does not stand still - and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that's what I'm going to do."

A Jan. 14 Gallup poll measured Congress' approval rating at 13 percent. A Jan. 26 Gallup poll determined Obama's approval rating is 42 percent, significantly lower than during last year's speech, at which point it was 51 percent.

Restoring and expanding the middle class was a focal point in the speech. Obama proposed measures to revitalize the broken education system, create a fairer workplace and embrace the Affordable Care Act.

Obama promised an executive order to increase the minimum wage for new federally contracted workers to $10.10. Though he doesn't have the power to unilaterally increase the minimum wage for every American, he again urged Congress to do so.

He said five states have already reformed their minimum wage laws, praising businesses like Cisco that have already increased workers' wages without a federal, state or local mandate. But there is still more progress to be made, he said.

Obama noted women make up about half the workforce, but make 77 cents to the dollar a man earns. This is an embarrassment for 2014, he said.

"It's time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a Mad Men episode," Obama said. "Because I firmly believe when women succeed, America succeeds."

Better preparing students as they enter the workforce is essential in rebuilding the middle class, he said.

"Opportunity is who we are," Obama said. "And the defining project of our generation is to restore that promise."

Reforming education at every level, but mainly college, is fundamental to restoring opportunity, he said. Obama urged Congress to help states provide easier access to high quality Pre-K for every 4-year-old. He reaffirmed his promise to connect 99 percent of students nationally to high-speed Internet over the next four years.

On Aug. 22, Obama visited UB and spoke about his plans to change the higher education system. He reiterated that sentiment Tuesday.

"We're shaking up our system of higher education to give parents more information, and colleges more incentives to offer better value, so that no middle-class kid is priced out of a college education," he said. "We're offering millions the opportunity to cap their monthly student loan payments to 10 percent of their income ... The bottom line is, Michelle and I want every child to have the same chance this country gave us."

Obama reaffirmed the Affordable Care Act as a necessary step in fighting for the financial security of the poor and middle class. He said 3 million people under the age of 26 can be covered because of the law and more than 9 million have signed up for private health insurance or Medicaid coverage following its passage.

"Both Democrats and Republicans have argued that our tax code is riddled with wasteful, complicated loopholes that punish businesses investing here and reward companies that keep profits abroad," Obama said. "Let's flip that equation."

Expanding the middle class and decreasing wealth inequality is an important step toward economic growth and stability, Obama said. But another key to creating that growth is to fix the "broken" immigration system.

"Independent economists say immigration reform will grow our economy and shrink our deficits by almost $1 trillion in the next two decades," Obama said. "And for good reason: when people come here to fulfill their dreams - to study, invent and contribute to our culture - they make our country a more attractive place for businesses to locate and create jobs for everyone."

Obama reiterated points he had made in past State of the Union addresses. He firmly stated the seriousness of climate change and the importance of alternative energy and becoming energy independent for the sake of future generations. He restated his plans to shut down Guantanamo Bay and the importance of negotiating with Syria and Iran to broker peace in the region.

Obama concluded by speaking about Sergeant First Class Cory Remsburg, who was seated next to the First Lady Michelle Obama. Remsburg was nearly killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan during his 10th deployment. He was found face down in a canal with shrapnel in his brain, which left him in a coma for months.

He is blind in one eye and struggles to use the left side of his body. It was not an easy recovery, but Remsburg has slowly progressed and is getting stronger. He told the president, "Nothing in life that's worth anything is easy."

Obama echoed Remsburg's thoughts as a prescription for the country.

"Men and women like Cory remind us that America has never come easy. Our freedom, our democracy, has never been easy," Obama said. "Sometimes we stumble; we make mistakes; we get frustrated or discouraged.

"But for more than 200 years, we have put those things aside and placed our collective shoulder to the wheel of progress ... if we work together, if we summon what is best in us, with our feet planted firmly in today but our eyes cast towards tomorrow - I know it's within our reach."