Meet the SA e-board

Johns, Selsky, Chhabria committed to TIE plan as they take over student government

Nick Johns, president

In April, Nick Johns ran for Student Association president. In his platform, he made many promises, but at the core of his party's agenda were three words that summed up his plan: Transparency, Inclusiveness and Efficiency.

Now, three months after his victory, the junior business and political science major pledges to continue his "TIE" promise. He said he is "the official undergraduate representative of the SA to the university as a whole," and he plans to make the most of his leadership role.

"My job is to oversee the general direction of SA," Johns said. "I have to make sure that from top to bottom we have one concrete vision."

Johns is looking forward to his administration and wants undergraduate students to know he is supposed to be their voice. He plans to be more accessible to students and encourages them to come to him with any problems or concerns they might have.

"While we are college students, we are working for you," Johns said. "We aren't working against you. We are trying to make sure that student life on campus is overall better."

Apart from his overall goals of transparency, inclusiveness and efficiency, Johns is working on many smaller projects, like working with SA webmasters to update the website. In his platform, he said the site is too cluttered and he wanted to make it easier for students to understand. He is also working with administration to figure out a way to get enclosed bus stops so students won't have to wait outside for the bus during the cold Buffalo winters.

He stresses how important it is to get more people involved. He encourages freshmen to take advantage of the opportunities SA provides.

"SA is a wonderful resource on campus to get to know more people, learn leadership capabilities, fill up your extracurricular and what not. It is a better way to find yourself."

Johns wants this year to be a great one and said he is working tirelessly to make that happen.

"There is never a dull day on campus," Johns said. "You can never not have things to do."

Lyle Selsky, vice president

From here on out, Lyle Selsky is the "point man" for the clubs, he said.

As vice president, Selsky is responsible for making sure the needs of all SA clubs are heard. But just like Johns, he also stresses the importance of TIE - transparency, inclusiveness and efficiency - for the SA as a whole.

He said the best way for freshmen to make the transition into college is to start trying new things. And joining a club fits the bill.

"There is always something to do," Selsky said. "There are over 160 clubs - even more temporary clubs. If there is something you want to do, the SA is where to go. It's all about taking advantage of that resource."

Selsky takes pride in the diversity that exists at UB - a diversity that he said exists in not only the people but also the many different clubs. Just like he encourages students to try something different and meet new people, he wants clubs to interact the same way.

"I want everyone working together to make bigger and better events," Selsky said. "When you combine your resources, there are a lot more possibilities and a lot more capabilities."

Selsky helped plan the summer orientations for incoming freshmen.

Communication is the key to having a successful year, according to Selsky. He said that means better communication between e-board members, and more importantly, better communication between SA and the students it represents. If students have any questions, he said they should feel free to come visit him in room 350 in the Student Union.

"I am always welcoming and open," Selsky joked. "As long you as you don't openly insult my favorite sports teams, we will be good."

Siddhant Chhabria, treasurer

Next year, SA will have an estimated $3.6 million budget. And Treasurer Siddhant Chhabria will be the man overseeing every expenditure.

He said his job is to make sure "the money is going to the right places," including making sure clubs have access to their individual budgets.

Chhabria thinks students are unaware they fund the SA budget and he plans to illuminate this fact.

"I don't think [freshmen] know they pay a $94.75 activity fee - they probably just think it's just part of their tuition bill," Chhabria said. "Think about it this way: If you go shopping and spend $100 ... you'd utilize that $100 to its maximum potential."

He said that in the same way, students should try to get the most out of "their money."

The majority of events that are held on campus for students can be attributed to SA, he said. From the Fall and Spring Fest concerts to the Distinguished Speaker Series, these events are funded by the $3.6 million budget from the mandatory student activity fee.

He agrees with Selsky that communication is the key to a successful year.

"Improving communication will be a really big strength to SA as a whole," Chhabria said.

When asked how he feels this year is going to go, he grinned with a chuckle in his answer.

"It's going to be fun," he said. "We have a lot of things planned. Just wait and see."