CFA production group nominated for Emmy

UB's Center For the Arts Video Production Group has been nominated for a 2013 New York Emmy Award by The New York Chapter of The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NY NATAS) for its informational video on UB's Solar Strand project.

The video, "UB Solar Strand: The Vision," was made last year and explores the now-completed UB North Campus Solar Strand's original inspiration and construction process. It features lead designer Walter Hood, a world-renowned landscape architect, along with other members of the construction and design teams discussing the symbolic yet practical approach constructing the 750 kilowatt solar power source.

The video itself exemplifies a commitment to creativity and practicality with its stunning aerial and time-lapse footage of the construction process matched with in-depth analysis about the project from Hood and leaders of the construction team from UB and local contractors.

The Solar Strand is approximately a quarter-mile long, consisting of 3,200 photovoltaic panels that generate clean, renewable energy for hundreds of campus apartments, streetlights and the Melvin H. Baker Chilled Water Plant. The project was funded with $7.5 million from the New York Power Authority.

As of 2006, the CFA Professional Video Production Group has won multiple awards, including a New York Emmy in 2011 and 14 national Telly Awards. Its work focuses on the CFA, UB and its partners for educational and entertainment purposes.

"UB Solar Strand: The Vision" can be viewed on the UB's official website under the sustainability section. The New York Emmy Award ceremony will be held on April 14 in New York City.