The Royal Pitches thrill and chill

From one Pitch to the next, 14 performers molded their notes into a high-class production. They created the sound of a full band using only the instruments they were born with: their voices.

Last Saturday night, UB's only female a capella group, The Royal Pitches, performed its annual winter concert in the Student Union Theater. The University of Rochester's co-ed a capella group, After Hours, opened the show.

After Hours managed to get the crowd in the SU theatre ready to listen to some a capella music. The group got everyone excited when they turned Alex Clare's "Too Close" into a vocally layered a capella piece.

With only one person actually singing the lyrics, the other After Hours vocalists emulated the sound of synths, drums, bass and sequencers, providing an impressive background.The crowd loved the group created the song's electronic sounds using only their natural instruments.

Next to enter the stage were the Royal Pitches, who were met with kinetic delight by the audience who approached the stage.

The range of music they played that night was broad and expansive. It included a capella versions of the Spice Girls' "Wannabe," Alanis Morissette's "Hand In My Pocket," The Fugees "Killing Me Softly," and a Beatles medley.

According to the graduate student and musical director of the group, Kristen Mazurkiewicz, most of the musical choice just comes from the performers own personal taste.

"We'll say, 'What do we have from last semester that we're still singing and what do we need,'" Mazurkiewicz said. "If there are fast or slow songs then we'll try to let that guide us to what we need, but otherwise we'll just ask what are people listening to now. I like that our group has such a mix of music."

Because they have so many of members, The Royal Pitches are able to always bring something fresh to the stage. With so many different personalities, there is bound to be diversity within the group's collective music taste.

"I'm excited to see the Pitches again," said Keegan Burke-Falotico, former Buffalo Chip and first-year graduate student. "They always put on a good show, so I'm looking forward to see what new stuff they have lined up."

Throughout the performance, The Pitcheswould stand in a half-circle or V formation depending on what type of alignment would allow all their voices to blend the best.

While performing "Killing Me Softly," the group meshed their voices together in a precisely executed harmony. It no longer sounded like 14 women singing together but like a fully mastered R&B song.

For both Pitches and fans, the annual winter performance is an important part of the Fall semester.

"This winter show is important because we aren't actually SA orientated; we're on our own," said Naita Howell, group singer and a sophomore accounting major. "This show helps with funding, plus it's fun. It's something to help take the edge off during finals week."

By providing their versions of familiar songs, the Royal Pitches' impressive winter performance helped students to end the semester on a high note.