Sunday, June 16, 2024

Watching a Walkoff

Buffalo loses in last at bat for the seventh time

After another disappointing game, frustrated head coach Ron Torgalski knew what the team lacked.

"Right now I can't find a guy that wants to make a play at the end of the game for us," Torgalski said.

In what has become a consistent theme for the Bulls (7-16, 1-4 Mid-American Conference), a close game once again slipped out of reach, this time against local rival St. Bonaventure (12-11, 2-4 Atlantic 10) 7-6. The walk-off loss brings the Bulls to 1-7 in one run games this season, and gave the Bonnies enough momentum to sweep the double header, winning game two 8-4 from Buffalo.

The Bulls were able to tie the game in the top of the seventh by scoring four runs on three hits but were unable to pull ahead. After holding the Bonnies scoreless in the bottom of the inning to force extras, Buffalo failed to plate a runner in the eighth, setting up St. Bonaventure second baseman Jason Radwan's walk off homerun.

The Bulls out hit the Bonnies 10-6 in the second game, but St. Bonaventure was able to jump on the Bulls early, scoring five runs in the first two innings.

"We didn't pitch too well early," Torgalski said. "We gave them a couple of free passes, and it just seemed like every time they got a couple of base runners they would come up with a big hit and score."

Because the games were played against a local non-conference opponent, Torgalski noticed a drop in energy and concentration from his players. It showed particularly in their approach at the plate as the Bulls were held in check offensively.

Buffalo wasn't able to get many runs across because it was putting subpar swings on bad pitches. The result: relatively low scoring compared the Bulls' prior games this season.

Although as a whole the team underperformed, junior outfielders Jason Kanzler and Matt Pollock shined. Pollock led Buffalo with five hits, including his sixth home run of the year while Kanzler went three for five, and had two walks and an RBI.

The Bulls' offense has slowed down significantly since their conference opening slugfest with Central Michigan (12-16, 3-3 MAC) two weeks ago. Torgalski thinks that some of the Bulls have let bad days at the plate linger in their minds during the batters box.

"Games come too quick when you are in season," Torgalski said. "If you are going to dwell on the last game and your at-bats, it is going to carry into the next one. We have to be mentally strong enough to put those at-bats behind us and go back to the way we were swinging earlier in the season."

The Bulls will have to quickly put this series behind them as they have a tough weekend ahead. Buffalo will travel to defending MAC champions Kent State (14-13, 6-0 MAC) for a three-game set.

The Bulls will start this crucial test on Friday. First pitch is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.