Sunday, June 16, 2024

Late Inning Errors Haunt Bulls Against Central Michigan

The baseball team has had an incredible offensive start to its season. Yet it has struggled to maintain the lead the bats have provided in the late innings.

The Bulls (7-11, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) had the same issues come up once again in the rubber game of their three game series with Central Michigan (11-13, 2-1 MAC).

Buffalo has scored in double-digits in eight of its first 18 games, and through Sunday the team batting average is good enough for 10th in the country.

But the Bulls' defense has lagged far behind their offense, tallying 28 errors through 18 games, and contributing to the Bulls horrendous 1-6 record in one-run games.

The Bulls were able to scrape out a win on Saturday by jumping ahead early in the slugfest and just barely holding on for an 11-10 win.

But the other two contests of the series were plagued with errors - as Buffalo made seven - leading to eight unearned runs, and more importantly two losses.

On Sunday the Bulls blew a 12-4 fifth inning lead and allowed Central Michigan to come from behind and score four runs in the ninth inning to lose 14-13. The walk-off loss was the sixth time Buffalo has lost in its opponent's final at bat.

The lackluster defense spoiled the Bulls' outstanding offensive performance. In what's becoming routine, Buffalo hit exceptionally well, tallying 33 hits on Saturday and Sunday.

Sophomore shortstop/pitcher Michael Burke was outstanding, leading Buffalo with eight hits and five runs batted in. He also pitched 2.1 innings in relief, striking out four, allowing three earned runs and earning a save.

Senior right fielder Dan Scahill was impressive as well, finishing the weekend with seven hits, a double, a home run and five runs batted in.

Head coach Ron Torgalski was particularly upset with the Bulls' performance in the field because of the missed opportunity to start the season 2-1 on the road against an elite MAC opponent.

"If we make the plays we are supposed to make, which were routine plays, we win the game 13-4 today," Torgalski said. "It's frustrating. I thought we were the better team."

Although they couldn't finish them, the Bulls showed that they could compete on the road at the level of Central Michigan, the defending MAC West division champions.

"To be able to go in there and compete...shows that we have a pretty good offense, and I think some of our pitchers threw pretty well, but you can't do one thing well and not the other," Torgalski said. "Until we are able to put together nine strong innings of defense pitching and hitting together, we are going to continue to lose close games."

The Bulls return to Buffalo this week and play at Canisius on Wednesday before continuing conference play against Western Michigan at its home opener next weekend.

The Bulls will continue to put an emphasis defense until everything comes together.

Torgalski is confident that playing home games will be a welcomed boost for the Bulls. By first pitch on Friday, the Bulls will have played 19 straight road games to start the season; something that Torgalski says has worn on his team.

First pitch against Canisuis on Wednesday is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Demske Sports Complex.

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com