Sunday, April 28, 2024

Bright LIGHTS

As Club Infinity plunged into darkness, the crowd began a steady chant, calling out for LIGHTS. Moments later its wishes were granted as the Canadian import took her place by the keyboard, immediately kicking into her newest single, "Banner."

Fresh off the release of her latest full-length album, Siberia, LIGHTS performed the first leg of her American tour in Buffalo on Tuesday night.

No longer pixilated, LIGHTS has jumped off the comic book pages and produced a follow-up to her bittersweet lyrics of 2008's The Listening. Despite the new, upbeat energy of Siberia, the tracks on this album seem to have excited her fans just as much as the last time she came stateside.

As the production lights pulsed with the electro beats, LIGHTS' infectious energy spread to the crowd during "Everybody Breaks a Glass" and "Siberia."

"The lighting show is awesome," said LIGHTS. "You can feel it, see it, and hear it. It's definitely an experience."

However, the change in sound from The Listening to Siberia is evident. Her latest album features a dubstep influence intertwined with pop beats and fluid vocals – a product of LIGHTS' collaboration with Holy F***, an electronic band from Canada.

"Holy F*** brought this grit and this grunge to Siberia that wasn't in The Listening," LIGHTS said. "A lot of the songs were recorded live so Siberia has a degree of life to it that makes the record really special to me and the fans."

With these live recordings in mind, what one hears through his or her headphones is the same quality that he or she can hear in the pit. A strong performer, LIGHTS brings intense emotional connections to her music. Once named Valerie Poxleitner, the musician felt music to be too personal a medium to be branded with a stage name.

"Names hold a lot of power," LIGHTS said. "Having to go through life with two different names would be a disservice especially with music, which draws so much from your personal life. It shows I'm committed to what I do."

But LIGHTS never forgets her past. Old fans rejoiced as The Listening's "Ice" came over the speakers.

"LIGHTS has such a unique sound that separates her from other female artists," said Brian Saeger, 21, of Depew. "Siberia transformed her onstage presence from Mohawk last year."

Her exceptional performance style shone through as the night started to end. All eyes focused on LIGHTS as she performed a slow-tempo rendition of "Heavy Rope," bringing a real and raw experience to the unbounded energy of her show.

All too soon, the crowd found LIGHTS exiting the stage as it begged for a longer set. Obligingly, she returned to the stage for a two-song encore, pleasing old fans and new with "Toes" from Siberia and "Second Go" from The Listening.

Although several people wanted more from her debut album, it is clear The Listening era is over.

"When I wrote the first album I had just moved away from home. With Siberia, I've gotten to know myself better and improve as an artist," LIGHTS said. "You write what you're going through at the time. You can't really write something if you're not feeling it."

Opening for LIGHTS was indie-rock group Ambassadors, from Brooklyn, providing the perfect complement of electronic rock.

Fortunately for LIGHTS, her new material and performance value can gain her new fans and allow her to keep her old ones.