Sunday, June 16, 2024

Women's Swimming and Diving Sets Records at MAC Championship

The women's swimming and diving team has had one of its most successful seasons this year. From its season-opening upset against Pittsburgh to its third place finish at the Akron invite, the Bulls were primed to have a great performance at this weekends MAC Championship meet.

Buffalo (7-2, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) added an exclamation point to its record-breaking season at Akron this weekend. The Bulls finished fourth, their highest finish in school history, and scored more points than any other Buffalo team ever has. In their most successful MAC championship appearance ever, the Bulls set eight school records, scored 448 points, and won six races.

Junior sprinter Brittney Kuras set a school record every time she swam. She won three individual MAC titles in the 200-yard Individual Medley, 200-yard freestyle, and 100-yard freestyle to compliment two relay titles in the 200-yard freestyle relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay.

"Brittney has been doing this all year. She is one of the most competitive swimmers that I have ever coached," said head coach Andy Bashor. "In this type of meet that's what you want. You want people that can go out there and race and hate to lose. I'm so proud of her."

The foursome of Kuras, sophomore Marissa Murphy, freshman Taylor Steffl and junior Mallory Morrell swam some of the fastest times in school and MAC history. The relay team finished the 200-yard free relay in 1:30.45, out touching the second place Ohio relay by 38 hundredths of a second. They also set a MAC record in the 400-yard relay finishing in 3:19.83. Morrell also won an individual MAC championship in the 50-yard freestyle, finishing in a time of 22.59, which was also a school record.

Steffl had a strong performance in her first MAC championships, placing seventh in the 50-yard freestyle and finishing sixth in the 100-yard butterfly while lowering her own personal record in the event.

Bashor lauded his team for stepping up and performing its best at an important meet. He was elated at the swims his team put in this weekend and excited to enjoy the success.

"We're going to enjoy this – we definitely deserve it. Then we will start looking toward next year," Bashor said.

The season is not yet over for the entirety of the women's team. Some of the swimmers will look to make the cut at the NCAA sectionals meet for the NCAA National Championship meet. Kuras in particular has a good shot at qualifying for the NCAA meet and even possibly placing there given her most recent performances.

The rest of the team will get a few weeks off before setting its sights for next season's MAC championship meet. Bashor stressed the importance of enjoying the victories that his team has achieved this season before it can begin to train again.

The team only graduates four swimmers this year and returns some of the teams' best swimmers as it looks to build off its strongest season ever. Bashor is also hoping that some key recruits will help to replace the graduating seniors and give more depth in some of the Bulls' weaker events.

For now, the Bulls can enjoy their most successful MAC championship meet ever that put the cap on their most successful season ever.

"We had everybody step up and perform awesome. This is how you want to end the season," Bashor said.

NCAA Zone A Qualifying will start March 9 for the swimmers that qualified, with the NCAA Championship meet starting the week after.

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com