Sunday, April 28, 2024

Rayman Origins Review

Grade: B+

While Sonic and Mario compete for medals across all next-gen consoles this holiday season, one fallen, platforming star has risen again in the form of the 2D limbless hero, Rayman.

With quirky, colorful level designs and gameplay that could put even the Mushroom Kingdom plumber to shame, Rayman Origins offers a platforming experience that is both nuanced and fantastic all within the confines of the retro-Rayman package.

The plot, like most games in the series, is filled with silliness and negative space. However, in the world of raving Rabbids and full-chested faeries, a small lack in plot is nothing to be concerned with. For what it's worth, Origins opens with the title character taking some serious R&R with Rayman's amphibian cohort Globox and the less-than-explained deity, "The Bubble Dreamer."

Resting too long on his laurels, the disembodied hero has let the once peaceful Glade of Dreams fall into chaos and, given no other alternative, is left to pick up the shattered pieces of his home. To return order to his once-peaceful homestead Rayman must traverse varying terrain-types and recover his forgotten abilities in order to defeat the old hag currently occupying The Land of the Livid Dead.

In the quest for redemption, Origins keeps players enticed with fast-paced side-scrolling and dolefully designed enemies that makes gameplay fresh long after the game's plastic seal is broken. Levels span typical platforming stomping grounds, from the typical slippery slopes of an icy peak to the frustratingly awkward water level. Origins manages to run the gamete of levels found in every stereotypical platformer.

Beyond the game's rather redundant addition to the industry's level designs, innovation in simplicity is at the heart of the French Ubisoft title's control scheme. The game revolves around three actions known to gamers since the dawn of the joypad: run, jump, attack. But while controls keep gameplay quick and frenetic, the game's colorful, wonderfully rendered splendor almost makes players stop in their tracks.

Like an extremely campy, yet hysterical movie, all of Origin's outlandish moments are best shared with friends.

Multiplayer isn't just an option in the title, but undoubtedly the developer would somewhat prefer players to game with up to three of their favorite (or spitefully, least favorite) friends. Players concerned about their collaborator's platforming prowess will be relieved to see their fallen comrade revived via bubble ála New Super Mario Bros.Wii without penalization.

Sadly all the aspects of Rayman that make it such a fantastic title are the same aspects that keep the game from reaching major success. The game is just too limited in its scope and too unadventurous in nature.

And though Rayman Origins brings a feeling of platforming not felt since the days of Crash and Spyro, unfortunately platforming this light-hearted and carefree just can't contend with the heart-wrenching action-adventure stories that have completely engulfed award shows the past four years.

Rayman's revival is an auspicious event. Declaring that Origins signifies the renaissance of platformers is, at this point, a bit dramatic, but the game's interesting level designs, jaw-dropping visuals and retro-simplicity makes the game a prime contender to lead a gameplay revolution in its genre.

Fun, fulfilling and completely insane, Origins may not sweep this year's coveted "Game of the Year" awards, but for the nostalgic side in all gamers, it's the perfect Christmas gift.