"Dress Your Age, Not Your Shoe Size"

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." – Coco Chanel.

As we grow up, our styles and what we like change drastically in order to reflect the person that we are. If they haven't, then they should. As you become older, it's important to dress and look your age. At a certain point, it is crucial to graduate from one wardrobe and move on to the next.

Now, in only the second week of school, what you're wearing still matters to the teachers that don't know you yet, and to potential friends. What you wear has the power to attract or repel people.

When dressing yourself, you may want to ask, "What type of people am I trying to invite into my life?" Or, "What message am I conveying through my outfit?"

Believe me, what you are wearing speaks volumes before you even get the chance to say, "It's so nice to meet you."

First impressions are crucial, especially when they have the ability to affect you for the rest of the year in a classroom setting. Also, being aware of your outfit at a job interview is extremely important. People judge you based on how well you put yourself together. It's beneficial for you to start taking your clothing as seriously as you take yourself, and others will do the same.

College is that opportune time that students begin to realize for themselves what it's like to be considered and treated like an adult. Not only are students given the chance to find out who they are and what interests them, but also gives them an opportunity to start fresh and recreate themselves — wardrobe and all.

I'm not telling you to become obsessed with fashion or spend more time figuring out what to wear rather than studying by any means. What I am suggesting, though, is that you take a few extra minutes everyday in the thought and planning of an outfit.

If you've never thought about it before and just grabbed whatever was at the top of your clean laundry pile, just take a moment and ask yourself the important questions. Or perhaps, go through your closet to get rid of things that are no longer relevant to your life — like that miniskirt from eight grade or your T-shirts with the cheesy logos. It will only help you in the long run to make room for new and grown-up clothing in that third grade closet of yours.

Simple items like a blazer (for girls and guys) adds instant sophistication to an outfit. Also, other pieces such as a pair of chic flats, or even a not-so-high platform for girls, adds a mature touch. Guys, boat shoes and loafers do the trick most times as long as you're matching it with appropriate things on top, such as a simple colored crew or V-neck T-shirt.

Whether or not you've taken anything I've said to heart, try to remember these simple seven words. Dress your age, not your shoe size.

Email: veronica.ritter@ubspectrum.com